| You gotta spin it to win it|
|Stop the presses!|
|We want pictures|
|—Everything you need to know about the Grayzone|
The Grayzone is a webshite founded by Max Blumenthal, a contributor to RT. It purports itself to be "a news and politics website dedicated to original investigative journalism on war and empire", but it mostly promotes Assadist, Russian, Venezuelan, and Chinese propaganda. It is known for using ad hominem attacks by calling critics neocon shills, or Mccarthyites.
Connections with far-right activists
For a supposedly "leftist" blog, editors of The Grayzone have either: a) promoted far right antisemitic beliefs, b) been promoted by alt-right activists, or c) promoted far-right activists themselves.
- For example, Richard Spencer shouted Max Blumenthal in a tweet. Although this might be guilt by association, it is totally normal that a notorious far-right leader would promote a left-wing journalist /sarcasm.
- Ben Norton, another major editor of The Grayzone, has retweeted a fascist and Holocaust denier. The account also supports a race war, is very sexist and homophobic .
- Max Blumenthal and Anya Parampil, who are married (Parampil formerly worked for RT), frequently appear on Fox News with Tucker Carlson.
- Zero Hedge cites The Grayzone multiple times.
- Max Blumenthal, whose father (Sidney Blumenthal) is Jewish, is an antisemite who compares Israel to Nazi Germany in Goliath: Life and Loathing in Greater Israel (2013).
So, next time if you hear The Grayzone calling everyone they disagree with far-right, bring these up.
- The Grayzone has spread nutty conspiracies about George Soros, blaming him for regime changes and protests around the world. Blumenthal also blames Soros for supporting protests in Hong Kong, Latin America, Nicaragua, and Venezuela. This doesn't make sense as Trump does not like Soros and thinks that protestors who were protesting against Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination were paid by Soros.
- The Grayzone does not believe in Russiagate.
- They believe in Big Pharma. In the same article, they promote anti-vaxxer Del Bigtree.
- They are pissed that people don't like Michael Moore's climate change denial movie Planet of the Humans. They also complain about its supposed "censorship" by billionaires.
- They whine about how Wikipedia "censored" them. They try to paint Wikipedia as neocon shills because their site was deprecated, along with Press TV and TeleSUR.[note 2] They attack Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia's co-founder, for being a libertarian and supporting Ayn Rand. Ironically, they are completely fine with Zero Hedge, a libertarian webshite, to promote them.
- The Grayzone denies that up to 1 million Uyghurs are in re-education camps in Xinjiang. They believe that there are only 2 studies that corroborate this number, but in reality there are many methods of obtaining similar results. They misrepresent CHRD's investigation by claiming that they only interviewed 8 people. In reality, they interviewed 8 people from 8 different villages, which means that their conclusion is much more accurate. Surprisingly, China's officials suggest that the interviewees' numbers are correct. They also discredit CHRD's research by stating that they received funds from the National Endowment for Democracy (NED). It also attacks Adrian Zenz instead of his research and talks about his far right, fundamentalist, sexist, and homophobic beliefs. Not only is this ironic and hypocritical, they did not bother criticizing his methodology. The only thing in the article that comes close to attacking his methodology is stating that the data comes from a separatist group in Xinjiang. However, Zenz cites other sources in his study, especially Chinese government documents. The article also fails to mention that it was a Chinese government official who gave them the numbers.
- They also opposed the Hong Kong protests, asserting that the CIA, NED, and George Soros funded the Hong Kong protesters, and exaggerated the amount of alt-right support of the protests [note 3]. They attempt to frame the protesters as literally Hitler by saying that the Neo-Nazi group Azov Battalion joined the protest. In reality, they only went for a tour in Hong Kong and went to places like Ocean Park (whose founder is Pro-Beijing). Also, the protestors have condemned the battalion as well.
- They doxxed a Hong Kong activist named Brian Kern. His pseudonym is Kong Tsung-Gan, a Tibetan sounding name.[note 4] They plagiarized The Standard's article about it (written 8 months before The Grayzone "exposed" him). They blame the mainstream media for using him as a source, but it's not like The Grayzone does it as well right? When someone talks about Brian, try talk about Charles Redvers.
- They assert that the Center for Applied Nonviolent Action and Strategies is funded by the NED, despite there being no evidence on their website.[note 5]
- They are extremely supportive of Alexander Lukashenko. They have spread fake news regarding the recent Belarusian Protests. For example, Ben Norton claimed that protestors were chanting "Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty"(US propaganda outlet), but they were chanting "Give us freedom".
- Ben Norton claimed that the grenade was thrown by protestors. Since that was a lie, he deleted it. What a coward.
- In a surprisingly stopped clock moment, The Grayzone called Trump out for normalizing the lab conspiracy, comparing it to Saddam's WMDs.
- Unfortunately, this didn't last as they were still hoping that it came from the US instead.[note 6][note 7]
- They claim that Taiwan didn't warn anyone about COVID-19, which was misleading.[note 8]
- Blumenthal talked on RT about Bill Gates's COVID-19 simulation.This is completely false.
In a nutshell
- Since Max Blumenthal has ties to RT and the Kremlin, some believe that the Russian government funds it
- Doesn't Press TV promote Holocaust denial? BTW They have shit ratings on Media Bias/Fact Check.
- While indeed there are numerous alt-right opportunists hijacking a popular cause for their own ends, their support, mostly online only, is used invalidate and distract from the fact that millions of Hongkongers protested
- The Grayzone thinks it's a Chinese sounding name.
- They are not exactly wrong though. Wikileaks claims that CANVAS has US government funding.
- Note that the top comment cites Globalresearch. A reminder of the average intelligence of Grayzone readers.
- The reason why the Wuhan lab theory was stupid was because it had natural DNA. The US lab theory is just as stupid.
- While the Taiwanese government technically didn't warn anyone from the onset, and rather asked WHO for confirmation of human to human transmission but was ignored, it is used in a way to dismiss Taiwan's successful containment of the virus.
- Before or after the head rub? by @axbIumenthal (parody account) (4:48 AM · Oct 6, 2019) Twitter (archived from October 6, 2019).
- You misspelled Israeli flag Richard Spencer quoting Max Blumenthal (1:51 AM - 3 Jan 2020) Twitter (archived from October 20, 2020).
-  by Matthew Dimitri (11:16 PM · May 17, 2020) Twitter (archived from April 9, 2021).
- The very rude elevator screamers are paid professionals only looking to make Senators look bad. Don't fall for it! Also, look at all of the professionally made identical signs. Paid for by Soros and others. These are not signs made in the basement from love! #Troublemakers by Donald Trump (6:03 AM - 5 Oct 2018) Twitter (archived from October 6, 2018).
- P.P.S.: CGTN chides the @CHRDnet study for estimating 1 million detainees based on only 8 interviews. Indeed a tiny sample size. But ironically, the internment shares estimated by those 8 locals are not far off from the internment shares reported by 3 townships, also from Kashgar by Adrian Zenz (3:43 PM · Dec 30, 2019) Twitter (archived from January 1, 2020).
- Zenz is quite forthcoming about how he comes to his conclusions. His writing is standard for peer-reviewed academic work, which it doesn't seem like either Grayzone author has read much of. Most of his (dozens or hundreds of) references are gov. reports and state journalism. by Ben Mauk (6:09 AM - 27 Jul 2020) Twitter (archived from July 27, 2020).
- ウイグル絶望収容所の収監者数は89万人以上 by 水谷尚子 (Naoko Mizutani) (March 3, 2018) Newsweek Japan.
- Actual swastika tattoos, just in case you were left in any doubt these are actual neo-nazis. by Hong Kong Hermit (6:31 AM · Dec 2, 2019) Twitter (archived from November 22, 2020).
- what is it with blumao and a general lack of knowledge? Kern's alias sounds Tibetan, not Chinese. by @OldChinaBland (6:46 AM - 13 Aug 2020) Twitter (archived from August 13, 2020).
- Anyone falling for this extremely stupid Belarus coup propaganda probably still thinks Saddam Hussein was hiding "WMDs" Because protesters often just "spontaneously" chant the name of CIA-backed US govt propaganda outlets. That's totally normal and organic. Nothing to see here! by Benjamin Norton (6:57 AM · Aug 16, 2020) Twitter (archived from August 16, 2020).
- That’s not what they are chanting.. they are chanting “give us freedom!”.. you might want to ask someone who speaks Russian to translate by Igor Sshatz (7:34 AM - 16 Aug 2020) Twitter (archived from August 16, 2020).
- The spokesperson from China's Foreign Ministry is publicly saying the US army might have brought coronavirus to Wuhan, which held the 2019 Military World Games in October, just before the outbreak began by Benjamin Norton (11:10 AM · Mar 12, 2020) Twitter (archived from March 12, 2020).
- On the Zero Hour with RJ Eskow, Max Blumenthal pushes conspiracy theory that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation predicted the novel coronavirus. by Matthew Dimitri (1:33 AM - 31 May 2020) Twitter (archived from May 31, 2020).