Techs on RationalWiki are appointed to do—as the title suggests—technical work.
Techs have the ability to:
- alter the edit filter, which affects how RW handles spam and repetitive trolls like the Nigerian viagra salesman
- add/remove all user rights
- rename users
- alter MediaWiki: space pages, which are mostly user interface items like MediaWiki:Sitenotice (the donation notice) and MediaWiki:Sidebar (the main site sidebar on your left).
- suppress revisions (even from sysops)
- edit and add gadgets
- modify Interwiki data
However, techs have no community authority and cannot police other users, unlike moderators.
You can request to be appointed a tech at RationalWiki:Requests for user rights.
- some coding or sysadmin type experience
- rudimentary understanding of how MediaWiki works
- basic understanding of edit filter syntax
- ability to google and find relevant documentation
There are currently 19.