The Gateway Pundit
|Someone is wrong on|
“”The frequency with which he posts hoaxes and complete fabrications as fact suggests Hoft either has a reckless and total disregard for the truth or is so incompetent he cannot separate fact from fiction.
|—Media Matters accurately describes Jim Hoft and The Gateway Pundit|
The Gateway Pundit is a far-right website founded by former corporate executive (and dumbest man on the Internet ) Jim Hoft, who is also a principal writer, along with his twin brother Joe. Often cited by such "scholars" as Matt Drudge, it holds a strong pro-Trump stance, is anti-liberal, and has occasional flirtation with outright white supremacists. It is a fairly popular blog, allegedly getting 4 to 5 million views each month, once again proving that being popular doesn't necessarily make you right.
The Gateway Pundit tends to care primarily about riling up its right-wing base over actually doing any journalism, such as fact checking. As such, they have published a number of false stories. These include such claims as Hillary Clinton taking Algeria off the terror watch list, with their "proof" being a politifact story that debunks the claim. 
The site often misidentifies perpetrators of attacks, claiming they are liberal. The site has spread false information about the 2017 Las Vegas shooting (misidentifying the perpetrator) and the 2018 Stoneman Douglas High School shooting (stating that the survivors were crisis actors); in both events, Gateway Pundit has claimed, without evidence, that the perpetrators were Democrats.  The site also falsely claimed that the Jacksonville landing shooter was a redditor who posts anti-trump messages, despite the shooter being dead and the redditor being alive. 
The Gateway Pundit actually received White House press credentials in 2017 from the Trump administration, but the tipping point of their vileness may have been reached when they were disinvited from a panel at the 2018 Conservative Political Action Conference due to their "reportage" over the Stoneman Douglas shooting by Wintrich.
On February 14, 2018, Hoft, Gavin McInnes, Paul Nehlen, and several other people and entities were sued for defamation for falsely naming the driver who killed Heather Heyer at the 2017 Unite the Right rally.
The Gateway Pundit was one of the many far-right media outlets who pushed baseless fraud claims after the 2020 United States presidential election. On February 7, 2021, this got Jim Hoft's @gatewaypundit Twitter account suspended.  In May 2021, Hoft claimed that the January 6 insurrection was "staged" by anti-Trump operatives, and everything that the FBI and media say about the event are lies. The Gateway Pundit was so sure that no one could convince them otherwise about their claim about one particular false allegation that they made (what they call "drop and roll"), that they dangled $10,000 to anyone who wanted to try to fight their wilful ignorance.
Gateway Pundit and the Hoft twins have been named in a defamation lawsuit by two minor election officials who claim that the website made false accusations against them that resulted in a torrent of threats and harassment resulting in them being unable to live normal lives.
In September 2021, Google had enough of the Gateway Pundit's COVID, COVID vaccines, and 2020 election disinformation and kickbanned them from its AdSense advertising program, effectively cutting off the site's primary source of revenue.
- Godwin's law invoked on Obama and the Daily Mail cited as a credible source.
- Godwin's law also invoked on environmentalists, because trying to do something about global warming is a "Fascistic/Statist (ie, Progressive) power grab". The site in general is consistent on its global warming denialism.
- Pushing Birtherism, mainly through just asking questions combined with appeal to authority, but sometimes they're more direct about it. Obama may also be a member of the Muslim Brotherhood.
- Pushing the November 4th Antifa Civil War conspiracy theory.
- Red-baiting, because they don't realize the Cold War is over.
- Gun nuttery, such as claiming that universal background checks will lead to Stalin-like tyranny.
- Pandering to homophobes. Ironically, Hoft came out as gay after the 2016 Pulse Nightclub massacre in Orlando, Florida.
- Citing actual white supremacists, such as the European Union Times, Diversity is Crap, and the Council of Conservative Citizens
The top rated comments give us a good idea of who the site attracts.
"He is NOT BLACK he is an SUNI MUSLIM he looks black but his culture is Islamist! He speaks perfect araibec and can recite the call for prayer! Do you know a black man that can do that?????? Most black American men are Christians. He hates Christians, and he has a fake marriage! Its all fake!! First thing he did was delete all the words of GOD and take out any words of Islamists and change all the miranda rights--this isnt an American this is a traitor! He is not an American! They trained him he is an imposter! He didnt care about the 30 Navy seal tean six or Bengazi!!! He used the black people to get their vote! He is an actor!!" 181 upvotes, 0 downvotes
"Do you actually think OUR, *cough*, congress IS GOING to impeach the first black POS marxist muslim potus? *sigh* he NEVER should have been elected in the first place." 220 upvotes, 2 downvotes (Basically, 220 people don't understand that nearly all Marxists are atheists)
"Muslim in NOT a race of people, it's a Satanic cult!" 77 upvotes, 1 downvote
"They are using the gays to destroy Christianity, then the Muslims are going to kill all the gays, that's how they are going to take over the world." 42 upvotes, 0 downvotes
"That’s right, anything filed against a lib has GOTTA be bogus! Anything thrown up against the wall that accuses Trump of something??? Now THAT’S true!" 50 upvotes, 0 downvotes
2021 Capitol riot
Hoft was one of the invited speakers at the 2021 U.S. Capitol riot warmup rally.
- Jonanism: What The Gateway Pundit does.
- Fake News
- Jacob Wohl — a former employee
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Peter Montgomery, Pence Turning His Back on ‘Trump Nation’ Is the Only Story That Matters From Jan. 6, Says Gateway Pundit’s Jim Hoft. Right Wing Watch, 24 May 2021.
- ↑ "Jim Hoft: Dumbest Man on the Internet?" by Ben Dimiero, Media Matters, 2010 September 21
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 What is Gateway Pundit, the conspiracy-hawking site at the center of the bogus Florida 'crisis actors' hype? by Paul Farhi (February 23, 2018 at 5:43 PM) The Washington Post.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Two Georgia election workers targeted by Trump sue far-right conspiracy site Gateway Pundit for defamation by Felicia Sonmez (December 2, 2021) The Washington Post.
- ↑ Fake news is still here, despite efforts by Google, Facebook by Barbara Ortutay & Ryan Nakashima (Oct. 09, 2017) AP.
- ↑ Naturally, very few of the commenters caught on to the fact the site was lying
- ↑ https://thinkprogress.org/gateway-pundit-jacksonville-reddit-bb82eb8d3d03/
- ↑ Joel Vangheluwe and Jerome Vangheluwe, Plaintiffs, v. GotNews, LLC, Freedom Daily, LLC, Charles C. Johnson, Alberto Waisman, Jeffrey Rainfort, Jim Hoft, David Petersen, Jonathan Spiel, Shirley Husar, Eduardo Doitteau, Lita Coulthart-Villanueva, Kenneth Strawn, Patrick Lehnhoff, Beth Eyestone, Lori Twohy, Raechel Hitchye, James Christopher Hastey, Christopher Jones, Connie Comeaux, Gavin McInnes, Richard Weikart, and Paul Nehlen, Defendants. (2/14/18) United States District Court for the Eastern District Of Michigan, Southern Division.
- ↑ "Jim Hoft, Known as the “Stupidest Man on the Internet,” Suspended by Twitter" by Charles Johnson, Little Green Footballs, 2021 February 6
- ↑ "Twitter banned Gateway Pundit founder Jim Hoft" by Alexis Benveniste, CNN Business, 2021 Februrary 7
- ↑ Reward Offered: $10,000 to the First Individual Who Can Successfully Address and Defend as Legitimate the 2020 Election Anomaly Referred to as the ‘Drop and Roll’ by Joe Hoft (July 29, 2021 at 12:00pm) The Gateway Pundit (archived from July 29, 2021).
- ↑ A conspiracy website will pay you $10,000 to bring it back to reality. Spoiler: You can’t by Philip Bump (July 30, 2021) The Washington Post.
- ↑ Carly Novell, Google finally boots Gateway Pundit from its ad platform. The Daily Dot, 7 September 2021.
- ↑ Abram Brown, Google Cuts Off Ad Money To ‘Gateway Pundit,’ A Haven For Vaccine And Election Misinformation. Forbes, 10 September 2021.
- ↑ "What is this? Obama’s Nazi America?"
- ↑ COMMUNIST INDOCTRINATION AT SCHOOLS AHHHHH!!!
- ↑ http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/09/oops-uk-guardian-lets-the-cat-out-of-the-bag-as-to-the-purpose-of-the-climate-change-movement/
- ↑ http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/10/scientists-global-warming-stopped-16-years-ago/
- ↑ Damn liberals, teaching children Al Gore lies!
- ↑ Joe Arapio is the middleman here
- ↑ Phyllis Schlafly is the middle woman this time around
- ↑ Very direct
- ↑ http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2008/07/blogger-admits-obamas-birth-certificate/
- ↑ http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/09/shocking-report-egyptian-media-says-obama-is-a-muslim-brotherhood-member/
- ↑ http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/10/antifa-leader-november-4th-millions-antifa-supersoldiers-will-behead-white-parents/
- ↑ Is Obama a communist or a fascist? Now I'm confused.
- ↑ http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/08/obama-to-sign-un-gun-treaty-this-month-will-lead-to-national-registry/
- ↑ "Unhinged Lesbian Mob"? "Lesbian Violence"? Really?
- ↑ http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/05/fabulous-newsweek-obama-cover-the-first-gay-president/
- ↑ https://www.chron.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Conservative-Blogger-Jim-Hoft-Comes-Out-As-Gay-8100833.php
- ↑ http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2010/04/report-sarkozy-slams-obama-says-he-might-be-insane/
- ↑ http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2010/09/two-men-charged-in-violent-racist-attack-on-white-teen/
- ↑ http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2008/09/missouri-sheriffs-prosecuters-form/
- ↑ http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/07/dod-holds-first-lesbian-gay-transgender-event-in-kandahar-afghanistan-video/
- ↑ https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/04/socialist-ocasio-cortez-says-latest-campaign-finance-charges-filed-against-her-are-bogus-video/
- ↑ President Trump Wants You in DC January 6 Wild Protest (archived from January 1, 2021).
- 2020 election denialists
- Anti-vaccination movement
- Conservative deceit
- Conspiracy theorists
- COVID-19 denialists
- Denialist organizations
- Fake news
- Global warming denialists
- Holocaust denial
- Internalized discrimination
- Internet hate sites
- Internet kooks
- Political pundits
- Pseudoscience promoting organizations