There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2020.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
The Gateway Pundit
| Someone is wrong on|
The Gateway Pundit is a hard-right website founded by former corporate executive Jim Hoft, who is also a principal writer. Often cited by such "scholars" as Matt Drudge, it holds a strong pro-Trump stance, is anti-liberal, and has occasional flirtation with outright white supremacists. It is a fairly popular blog, allegedly getting 4 to 5 million views each month, once again proving that being popular doesn't necessarily make you right.
The Gateway Pundit tends to care primarily about riling up its right-wing base over actually doing any journalism, such as fact checking. As such, they have published a number of false stories. These include such claims as Hillary Clinton taking Algeria off the terror watch list, with their "proof" being a politifact story that debunks the claim. 
The site often misidentifies perpetrators of attacks, claiming they are liberal. The site has spread false information about the 2017 Las Vegas shooting (misidentifying the perpetrator) and the 2018 Stoneman Douglas High School shooting (stating that the survivors were crisis actors); in both events, Gateway Pundit has claimed, without evidence, that the perpetrators were Democrats.  The site also falsely claimed that the Jacksonville landing shooter was a redditor who posts anti-trump messages, despite the shooter being dead and the redditor being alive. 
The Gateway Pundit actually received White House press credentials in 2017 from the Trump administration, but the tipping point of their vileness may have been reached when they were disinvited from a panel at the 2018 Conservative Political Action Conference due to their "reportage" over the Stoneman Douglas shooting by Wintrich.
On February 14, 2018, Hoft, Gavin McInnes, Paul Nehlen, and several other people and entities were sued for defamation for falsely naming the driver who killed Heather Heyer at the 2017 Unite the Right rally.
- Godwin's law invoked on Obama and the Daily Mail cited as a credible source.
- Godwin's law also invoked on environmentalists, because trying to do something about global warming is a "Fascistic/Statist (ie, Progressive) power grab". The site in general is consistent on its global warming denialism.
- Pushing Birtherism, mainly through just asking questions combined with appeal to authority, but sometimes they're more direct about it. Obama may also be a member of the Muslim Brotherhood.
- Pushing the November 4th Antifa Civil War conspiracy theory.
- Red-baiting, because they don't realize the Cold War is over.
- Gun nuttery, such as claiming that universal background checks will lead to Stalin-like tyranny.
- Pandering to homophobes. Ironically, Hoft came out as gay after the 2016 Pulse Nightclub massacre in Orlando, Florida.
- Citing actual white supremacists, such as the European Union Times, Diversity is Crap, and the Council of Conservative Citizens
The top rated comments give us a good idea of who the site attracts.
"He is NOT BLACK he is an SUNI MUSLIM he looks black but his culture is Islamist! He speaks perfect araibec and can recite the call for prayer! Do you know a black man that can do that?????? Most black American men are Christians. He hates Christians, and he has a fake marriage! Its all fake!! First thing he did was delete all the words of GOD and take out any words of Islamists and change all the miranda rights--this isnt an American this is a traitor! He is not an American! They trained him he is an imposter! He didnt care about the 30 Navy seal tean six or Bengazi!!! He used the black people to get their vote! He is an actor!!" 181 upvotes, 0 downvotes
"Do you actually think OUR, *cough*, congress IS GOING to impeach the first black POS marxist muslim potus? *sigh* he NEVER should have been elected in the first place." 220 upvotes, 2 downvotes (Basically, 220 people don't understand that nearly all Marxists are atheists)
"Muslim in NOT a race of people, it's a Satanic cult!" 77 upvotes, 1 downvote
"That’s right, anything filed against a lib has GOTTA be bogus! Anything thrown up against the wall that accuses Trump of something??? Now THAT’S true!" 50 upvotes, 0 downvotes
- Jim Hoft: Dumbest Man on the Internet? from Media Matters
- People: Jim Hoft (tagged) from Media Matters
- What is Gateway Pundit, the conspiracy-hawking site at the center of the bogus Florida 'crisis actors' hype? by Paul Farhi (February 23, 2018 at 5:43 PM) The Washington Post.
- Fake news is still here, despite efforts by Google, Facebook by Barbara Ortutay & Ryan Nakashima (Oct. 09, 2017) AP.
- Naturally, very few of the commenters caught on to the fact the site was lying
- Joel Vangheluwe and Jerome Vangheluwe, Plaintiffs, v. GotNews, LLC, Freedom Daily, LLC, Charles C. Johnson, Alberto Waisman, Jeffrey Rainfort, Jim Hoft, David Petersen, Jonathan Spiel, Shirley Husar, Eduardo Doitteau, Lita Coulthart-Villanueva, Kenneth Strawn, Patrick Lehnhoff, Beth Eyestone, Lori Twohy, Raechel Hitchye, James Christopher Hastey, Christopher Jones, Connie Comeaux, Gavin McInnes, Richard Weikart, and Paul Nehlen, Defendants. (2/14/18) United States District Court for the Eastern District Of Michigan, Southern Division.
- "What is this? Obama’s Nazi America?"
- COMMUNIST INDOCTRINATION AT SCHOOLS AHHHHH!!!
- Damn liberals, teaching children Al Gore lies!
- Joe Arapio is the middleman here
- Phyllis Schlafly is the middle woman this time around
- Very direct
- Is Obama a communist or a fascist? Now I'm confused.
- "Unhinged Lesbian Mob"? "Lesbian Violence"? Really?