Sandy Hook massacre
| It's a|
|Articles on illegal behaviour|
| Some dare call it|
|What THEY don't want|
you to know!
“”Conspiracy theorists erase the human aspect of history. My child — who lived, who was a real person — is basically going to be erased.
|—Lenny Pozner, father of Sandy Hook murder victim Noah Pozner|
For the most part, the clogosphere is in total agreement that liberals were somehow to blame. Certainly there's no other explanation. The idea that Americans could possibly inflict violence upon one another using a tool which makes it incredibly easy to do so, and is found in abundance in America is preposterous.
- Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas and Republican presidential primary candidate, blamed it on separation of church and state: "We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we have systematically removed God from our schools."
- After sane people everywhere pointed out how stupid that was, he walked it back. "I'm not suggesting by any stretch that if we had prayer in schools regularly as we once did that this wouldn't have happened, because you can't have that kind of cause and effect. But we’ve created an atmosphere in this country where the only time you want to invoke God's name is after the tragedy."
- Not chastened by his previous stupidity, Huckabee then decided to blame it on the rejection of "natural law" and the "natural family of a father and mother". Yes, the evil gaysdidit.
- Professional homophobe Bryan Fischer also blamed separation of church and state. "God is not going to go where he is not wanted." Because Jesus never hung out with sinners (Mark 2:15).
- The Westboro Baptist Church announced plans to picket the school "to sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgment." The 6-year-olds were probably 'fag enablers' or somesuch.
- Glenn Beck said it was "because of the ever expanding lack of self control & personal responsibility."
- Pastor Sam Morris from the Old Paths Baptist Church in Tennessee blamed the teaching of evolution and "how to be a homo" in public schools, and said that abortion is a far worse problem.
- Eric Hovind—son of creationist tax fraudster Kent Hovind—hopped on to Twitter to also blame secularism: "Are you happy now that the shooter grew up in a school without God?"
- He later gave a notpology on Facebook by saying that his tweet was "poorly worded" but quoted a passage expressing similar sentiments.
- James Dobson from Focus on the Family blamed abortion and same-sex marriage.
- Tim Wildmon from the American Family Association said it was because of Satan!
- Steve Deace, a right-wing radio host, said that it was because of, let's see, a "culture of death" in public schools, secularism, "movies glorifying the occult and gory violence," abortion and a school which required students to write suicide notes in class. Which apparently did happen... in France, once. Quite how that would affect a man in Connecticut is left as an exercise for the reader. At least he forgot to include Dungeons & Dragons.
- Ray Comfort said it was because America has "lost its fear of God."
- Victoria Jackson said the shooting happened because America had "forgotten the Ten Commandments" (as if we could forget them). She also linked the shootings to abortions (retroactive ones, perhaps?).
- WND editor and comedy moustache owner Joseph Farah also blamed secularism and the removal of mandatory prayer from public schools and warned that if gun control measures were established, God would punish us more.
- The National Review's Charlotte Allen claimed that the lack of men on the premises contributed, as "a feminized setting is a setting in which helpless passivity is the norm." While a call to encourage more men to cross traditional gender roles and become teachers would be commendable, that was unlikely to be Allen's intent—though it's unclear what exactly schools were supposed do in order to have more men on campus.
- The National Rifle Association blamed violent video games, specifically pointing to, among other things, a decade-old, little-known Flash game called Kindergarten Killer. Nice dodge, guys.
- Sherri Tenpenny, a prominent antivax campaigner, blamed vaccines. Shots, get it?
- Actress Suzanne Somers questioned that Lanza's diet and exposure to toxins and household chemicals may have caused him to go insane.
Not enough guns
- Short Little Rebel, a Christian conservative blogger, thinks the government did it: "I believe there is evidence of more than one shooter. I believe this was a PLANNED event- specifically to get the UN Small Arms Treaty signed."
- Andy Schlafly, the owner of Conservapedia, blamed the shooting on video games and said that it wouldn't have happened "if laws banning guns for self defense in public school were repealed." How these two are related is anyone's guess.
- Ann Coulter agrees, claiming that "only one public policy has ever been shown to reduce the death rate from such crimes: concealed-carry laws." Citation needed, Ann.
- Megan McArdle thinks that "the correct thing to do is for everyone to instantly run at the guy with the gun." Supposedly, this would reduce the body count, when most likely it would just increase the chances of one person getting close enough to attempt to disarm the shooter while said person's friends were killed.
- According to Louie Gohmert, the principal should have "had an M4 in her office, locked up so when she heard gunfire, she pulls it out …and takes him out and takes his head off before he can kill those precious kids."
The marketing potential of tragedy
- In a blog post on December 15th, woo-author Mike Bara wrote the
nauseating clichéwise and profound thought "out of tragedy we have at least one more proof that we are all connected, that there is a Force of love out there that binds us all together. Such proof can at least give us hope and comfort knowing that there is something beyond this crude, material existence we all inhabit."
....and just incidentally, mentioned his recently published book three (3) times.
- After the massacre, sales of bullet-proof backpacks for children enjoyed an increase. 
As with September 11, Sandy Hook has attracted conspiracy theorists, who question or deny the official account, or even whether the incident took place at all. These denialists are sometimes referred to as Sandy Hook "truthers".
- Over at The Daily Paul, a website dedicated to libertarian hero Ron Paul, they believe it didn't happen and is just a giant hoax. So that Obama can take away yer guns!!
- A professor of Florida Atlantic University promoted Sandy Hook conspiracy theories, claiming that evidence had been forged or hidden, and that eye-witnesses such as medical personnel may actually have been trained "crisis actors" employed by the Obama administration in a stunt to promote gun control.
- Sandy Hook truthers have even started targeting Gene Rosen, a local resident who sheltered six Sandy Hook students who had fled the school. Conspiracy theorist websites are claiming he's an actor, a fraud and making anti-Semitic remarks. Classy.
- James H. Fetzer claimed "Mossad death squads" were responsible.
- Some theorists suggest a connection with the Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises, pointing out a scene in the film in which a map of Gotham City briefly appears with an area labelled "Sandy Hook" and marked as "Strike Zone 1". These theories also connect the Sandy Hook shooting with the Aurora shootings, which took place at the film's release in July 2012, since the name "Aurora" also appears briefly within the movie. This is less remarkable, however, as the name appears in neon lights on the Aurora Plaza, a distinctive skyscraper on the waterfront of Hong Kong's financial district which would be visible in pretty much any aerial shot of downtown Hong Kong. Why details of a supposedly government-planned series of shootings should be hidden as subliminal messages in a Hollywood blockbuster remains unexplained.
- The kids murdered during the shooting were at the Superbowl
- That Sandy Hook was closed 5 years ago
JewsA guy named Peter Lanza caused it.
- Psychiatric medication made Lanza do it. This is in part inspired by an interview given by a man claiming to be the shooter's uncle "Jonathan Lanza", who told the New York Post that his "nephew" had been taking Fanapt, an antipsychotic drug used to treat schizophrenia. The uncle was later revealed to be convicted con artist Jonathan Lee Riches, who was arrested for violating his parole by traveling to Connecticut to visit Lanza's house.
And of course, what would be a conspiracy theory without a good ol' Pseudo-Documentary?
The gun control debate
None of these angry people had much to say about the easy availability of guns in the United States. Quite a lot of other people did. The shooter's mother, whom he had murdered before driving to the school, was a gun nut and survivalist who, despite Connecticut's supposed tightness of gun laws, had legally obtained multiple rifles and handguns, including a semi-automatic AR-15-type rifle (which was used for all but one of the deaths).
MSNBC contributor Joe Scarborough, a noted gun rights advocate, announced in an editorial that he had reversed his position on unrestricted access to firearms because of the tragedy. He was joined by West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin and Virginia Senator Mark Warner.
As if attacking the memory of the victims was not bad enough, some hoaxers have taken to harassing the families of the victims. Hoaxer Lucy Richards pleaded guilty to making death threats against parent Lenny Pozner in 2017. In 2016, hoaxer Matthew Mills received a suspended sentence for intimidating the family of murder victim Victoria Soto. In 2014, hoaxer Andrew David Truelove was convicted of stealing Sandy Hook memorial signs.
- The Sandy Hook Hoax: Lenny Pozner used to believe in conspiracy theories. Until his son’s death became one by Reeves Wiedeman (September 5, 2016 9:00 pm) New York Magazine.
- Mike Huckabee: Newtown Shooting No Surprise, We've 'Systematically Removed God' From Schools, Huffington Post
- Mike Huckabee Explains Bizarre Claim That God's Absence From Sandy Hook Led To Massacre, Huffington Post
- Republican Mike Huckabee: The Newtown shootings were the fault of gay people, Pink News
- Fischer: God Didn't Stop CT School Shooting Because He's a 'Gentleman' Who Doesn't Go Where He Is Not Wanted, Right Wing Watch
- Reports: As Newtown Plans Burials For Shooting Victims, Westboro Baptist Church Prepares To Picket, CBS Local New York.
- Anonymous Vows To 'Destroy' Westboro Baptist Church Over Plan To Picket Sandy Hook Funerals
- Glenn Beck tweet
- Tennessee pastor: Mass shootings because schools teach evolution and ‘how to be a homo’, Raw Story
- I weep for America, Jerry Coyne, Why Evolution Is True
- Stay classy, Eric Hovind., Unreasonable Faith
- Hovind's utter lack of class prompted theologian James F. McGrath to call him a "lowlife pseudochristian" and suggest to him that he ought to read the read the Book of Job
- Eric Hovind's Facebook
- Dobson: Connecticut Shooting was God Allowing 'Judgment to Fall Upon Us' for Turning Our Back on Him, Right Wing Watch
- Wildmon: Satan Carried Out the Shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Right Wing Watch
- Steve Deace Ties Connecticut Shooting to Public Schools' 'Culture of Death', Right Wing Watch
- French teacher suspended for asking pupils to write suicide notes, Telegraph.co.uk
- Connecticut School Shooting... Why???, Way of the Master (just after 3m mark).
- Ex-SNL star Victoria Jackson links massacre to abortion
- Expect more Sandy Hooks, not fewer, WND
- National Review writer’s offensive Newtown theory
- "So Who Made Kindergarten Killer, Anyway? Kotaku. 21 Dec. 2012.
- Tenpenny facebook post 2012
- URGENT UPDATE on Connecticut Shooting, Short Little Rebel
- We know how to stop school shootings
- McArdle Wins Worst Newtown Reaction Award
- Louie Gohmert Says More Guns Are Answer To Preventing Mass Killings
- "Since Newtown school shootings, sales of kids’ bulletproof backpacks soar," Washington Post, 20 December 2012.
- Salon, "Meet the Sandy Hook truthers", January 9, 2013.
- The Daily Paul, "Sandy Hook: The Evidence Compiled - In One Place. What do we KNOW for Sure that ISN'T Hearsay?", December 21, 2012.
- Sun Sentinel, "FAU prof stirs controversy by disputing Newtown massacre", January 7, 2013.
- This man helped save six children, is now getting harassed for it, Salon
- Mossad death squads slaughtered American children at Sandy Hook, Press TV
- Digital Journal, "Sandy Hook labeled in Batman film, conspiracies light up Internet", December 20, 2012.
- See the Wikipedia article on Aurora Plaza.
- Sandy Hook Hoaxer Busted By Federal Agents.
- Newtown shootings: Gun debate flares as funerals begin
- Sandy Hook hoaxer gets prison time for threatening 6-year-old victim’s father by Derek Hawkins (June 8, 2017 at 4:04 AM) The Washington Post.
- Sandy Hook 'truther' gets suspended sentence by Daniel Tepfer (Updated 4:10 pm, Monday, April 18, 2016) Connecticut Post.
- Mystic playground sign thief gets jail time in Virginia by Micael Souza (August 20, 2014 09:03AM) The Westerly Sun.