The capital is Lincoln, while the largest city is Omaha, and the first founded city is Bellevue (also larger than the capital). Omaha has a fairly large amount of phone related jobs (telemarketers, Gallop, etc.) because Nebraskans have an extremely "neutral" accent, which has also drawn a lot of news reporters to do a tour of duty in the area. Bellevue is a military town whose economy is heavily dependent on Offutt Air Force Base, one of the largest US military installations in the country and which is the head quarters for the US nuclear command.
Nebraska has a few colleges, notably the University of Nebraska at Omaha, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, the University of Nebraska at Kearney (god what innovative names), the University of Nebraska Medical Center (which has a fairly well known cancer research and treatment center), and Creighton University (a Jesuit school that is popular for its law and medical programs)
- Bailey Yard in North Platte, Nebraska is the world's largest railroad classification yard. It is also crawling with bulls, so don't try any funny business there if yaknowwhatimean
- Warren Buffett
- Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. I'm going to sit in this Land Rover while we watch Jungle Jim over there wrestle that wild gorilla.
- Otherwise, please don't mind the sound of crickets...
- The cities of Lincoln and Omaha have a combined population of about 1,000,000. The rest of the state has 600,000.
- The largest number of people who visit Nebraska are traveling through Eppley Airfield, which is a fairly large hub.
- The Omaha zoo has the world's largest indoor desert. And the world's largest indoor rain forest. And the world's largest nocturnal exhibit. And the world's largest cat complex.
- UNMC biocontainment unit is also the largest in country, thus solidifying Nebraska's title as largest trap in the world.
- Eastern Nebraska will receive a disproportionate amount of national campaign ads (as well as local election ads) from Iowa, despite its status as almost 100% solidly conservative in presidential elections (legislative and local tend to be more mixed) and the inability of Nebraskans to vote in Iowa elections.
- Omaha is either heavily left or heavily right. We still haven't figured it out yet.
Official State things
- The Goldenrod is the State Flower.
- Breaking the mold of the rest of the States, it only has one legislative body, creatively named the "Nebraska Legislature" (or Unicameral) which is populated by senators, having voted its House of Representatives out during the Depression.
- Also breaking the mold, the state legislature is officially non-partisan, though in practice it's fairly obvious who is what. Candidate selection is handled by a non-partisan primary election which then sends its top winners to the real election.
- It and Maine are the only states to break up their Electoral College votes, with one vote each going to its legislative districts and the rest going to the statewide winner; in practice this means little as the state is reliably one color and also only has 5 votes to split up to begin with.
- It also bans fishing for whales despite being landlocked.
- Along the same lines, its highest state honor, equivalent to the Kentucky Colonel, is the Nebraska Admiral.
|Articles about States of the United States|
|Northeastern United States states:||Connecticut • Delaware • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New York • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • Vermont •|
|Southern United States states:||Alabama • Arkansas • Florida • Georgia (U.S. state) • Kentucky • Louisiana • Mississippi • North Carolina • Oklahoma • South Carolina • Tennessee • Texas • Virginia • West Virginia •|
|Midwestern United States states:||Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Michigan • Minnesota • Missouri • North Dakota • Ohio • South Dakota • Wisconsin •|
|Western United States states:||Alaska • Arizona • California • Colorado • Hawaii • Idaho • Montana • Nevada • New Mexico • Oregon • Utah • Washington • Wyoming •|
|United States territories:||Puerto Rico • Washington, D.C. •|
|Other:||Bible Belt • Jesusland • Weird states •|