The Washington Post
| You gotta spin it to win it|
|Stop the presses!|
|We want pictures|
The Washington Post, depending on who you ask, is either commie trash, a neoconservative rag desparately trying to outflank the rival (and paleoconservative) Washington Times from the right, the epitome of the worst excesses of the liberal media, Jeff Bezos's mouthpiece with its weird fact checks and billionaire apologia, or America's Newspaper of Record.TM[note 1] Media Bias/Fact Check, a more neutral source, classifies The Washington Post as a left-center source, slightly on the left of The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times, for instance. Since February 2017, a month after the inauguration of Donald Trump, the Post's new slogan is "Democracy Dies in Darkness" (although they claim it has nothing to do with Trump
as much as it is for their paywalls)
It is most famous for the role played by two of its reporters, Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward (made famous in the film All the President's Men), in slowly exposing the Watergate scandal that led to President Richard M. Nixon's resignation. At the time, the Post was but one of three competing Washington, D.C. daily newspapers along with the Washington Star and the Washington Daily News. Their coverage of the Watergate scandal solidified the Post's dominance in the D.C. newspaper market and gained the paper national stature. They were bought by Jeff Bezos, the asshole founder of Amazon, in 2013. Consequently, they also can't afford you looking at the newspaper for free so they helpfully imposed an article limit before hitting the ever-obnoxious paywall as well as bitching about your adblocker and proclaiming they will use your cookies. But, hey, at least the 2020 COVID-19 coverage is free!
From 1961 to 2010 the Post published Newsweek, America's second-largest weekly newsmagazine. Newsweek then collapsed after WaPo sold it off (admittedly, it was going downhill before then).
In 2004 the Post purchased Slate Magazine from Microsoft.
In 1984, the Post's parent company purchased Kaplan, Inc., a tutoring and educational testing service. In 2000, the Post bought an online college and renamed it Kaplan College (now Kaplan University). Like most for-profit institutions of higher education, Kaplan U. has become known more for its quest for profit than for its quest for knowledge.
An incomplete list; some notable Post opinion columnists include:
- E.J. Dionne, Jr.
- David Ignatius
- Ruth Marcus
- Dana Milbank (author of Tears of a Clown, an anti-Glenn Beck book)
- Steven Pearlstein (business columnist)
- Eugene Robinson
- Tom Toles — political cartoonist
- Katrina vanden Heuvel
- Paul Waldman
Since 2016, you could be forgiven for thinking that at least some of these columnists are actually liberal because of their relentless attacks on the criminality and corruption of the Trump administration.
- Megan McArdle
- Michael Gerson
- Hugh Hewitt
- Max Boot
- Anne Applebaum (a centrist on domestic issues, but a hawkish neoconservative on anything to do with foreign policy and Eastern Europe).
- Stanley Kurtz
- Charles Krauthammer
- Kathleen Parker (sometimes, she has criticized Sarah Palin)
- Jennifer Rubin (online only)
- Joe Scarborough, former Republican congressman, now an MSNBC talking head.
- Marc Thiessen (former George W. Bush speechwriter)
- George Will (a weekly panelist on ABC's This Week Sunday morning talk show)
- Post website
- "The Washington Post March", written by John Philip Sousa in 1889. (Commissioned by the publishers of the Post.)
- The New York Times has also been given the label, something they've vehemently disliked.
- Democracy Dies From Bad Fact-Checking The Nation 3 September 2019
- Bernie Sanders' campaign is demanding that The Washington Post retract a fact-check article that assigned Sanders 3 'Pinocchios' Business Insider 1 September 2019
- Punitive taxes on billionaires are bad politics, bad economics and just plain unfair The Washington Post 17 October 2019
- Washington Post
- The Washington Post’s new slogan turns out to be an old saying The Washington Post 24 February 2017
- Washington Post to be sold to Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon The Washington Post 5 August 2013
- At Kaplan University, 'Guerilla Registration' Leaves Students Deep In Debt Huffington Post 22 December 2010
- Opinions (click "Show all Opinion writers" for the full list) The Washington Post
- E.J. Dionne Jr.'s archive The Washington Post.
- David Ignatius' archive The Washington Post.
- Ruth Marcus' archive The Washington Post.
- Dana Milbank's archive The Washington Post.
- Eugene Robinson's archive The Washington Post.
- Tom Toles' archive The Washington Post.
- Katrina vanden Heuvel’s archive The Washington Post.
- Paul Waldman’s archive The Washington Post.
- Michael Gerson's archive The Washington Post.
- Charles Krauthammer's archive The Washington Post.
- Sarah Palin, from pit bull to mama grizzly The Washington Post 14 July 2010
- Palin Problem National Review 26 September 2008
- Kathleen Parker's archive The Washington Post.
- Jennifer Rubin's archive The Washington Post.
- Marc Thiessen's archive The Washington Post.
- George Will's archive The Washington Post.