| It doesn't stop|
at the water's edge
A coup d'état (pronounced /ˌku deɪˈtɑ/ also known as a coup or putsch) is a sudden seizure of government power in a state, by a group seeking to depose the current ruling body and replace it with a new one.
A coup d'état often results in a significant disruption of the social order in the state in which it occurs, often resulting in civil war or the establishment of a military dictatorship. A coup which immediately follows another coup is known as
playing king of the hill a counter-coup.
Due to their power to alarm and confuse (despite their vagueness), all variants of "coup" terminology are notorious favorites of the conspiracy theorist fringe, and particularly of the "alternative news" outlets that feed their paranoia.
A bloodless coup refers to a a coup that does not involve an assassination or a domestic military show-of-force. A bloodless coup involves unconstitutional or illegal activities in order to seize power from a democratically-elected government. Examples include widespread election fraud, or ignoring or overriding the lawful orders of the president or prime minister.
The cranks who cry wolf
As noted above, variant terms (e.g. "counter-coup") also see widespread crank use.
A certain crank, the career of which is built on proverbially tickling the Bubba nerve of his listeners with a gigant cartoon feather, has also found convenience in the term, as "soft coup" it basically a convenient way of saying (and we paraphrase):
“”You know [silly revolutionary scenario] that I've been saying is right around the corner [since 1995]?? Well, IT IS happening, but softly — so even though it's not obvious that it's even happening at all, that just means it's happening slowly RIGHT NOW!!
Similarly, talk of "soft coups" is a great clickbait-generating way to package wild speculation on various
imaginary power struggles that are allegedly going on RIGHT NOW but just outside of view — e.g. inside the Pentagon. Certainly a place into which Alex Jones (of all people) is likely to have privileged access.
- Dr. Strangelove — A classic Kubrick
documentaryfilm dealing with similar power struggles
- Donald Trump — For all the ways "coup" terminology can be misapplied
- Bubba effect — A manual on how to react once our dark Lord activates the Georgia Guidestones
- Iran just pulled off a 'soft coup' in Lebanon by Alex Rowell (Oct. 24, 2016, 12:29 PM) Business Insider.
- The Soft Coup Collapses – CIA Bluffing, Russia Did Not Hack, Blackmail Revealed – What Next? by Robert David Steele (January 09, 2017) Global Research
- A "Soft Coup" Attempt: Furious Trump Slams "Secret" CIA Report Russia Helped Him Win by Tyler Durden (Dec 10, 2016 9:11 PM) Zero Hedge
- TREASON: Left-wing media attempting a “soft coup” in America by hyperventilating over self-contrived Russian conspiracy fabrication by Mike Adams (Saturday, December 10, 2016) Natural News
- Who is running Algeria? Power struggle leads to rumours President Abdelaziz Bouteflika has been ousted and secretly replaced by his brother in a 'soft coup': Rumours of a mysterious clique seizing control of the country are causing jitters throughout North Africa by John Hall (Thursday 24 December 2015) The Independent.
- InfoWars: Breaking: Democrat Counter-Coup Against Trump in Progress
- InfoWars: Soft Coup By Patriot Americans Is Happening
- InfoWars' LinkedIn page claims they were founded in 1995.
- InfoWars: Facebook Mentions: Pentagon Soft Coup