|Frogs, clowns, and swastikas|
|Rebuilding the Reich, one meme at a time|
|Buzzwords and dogwhistles|
Paul Anthony Gosar (1958–) is a dipshit from Arizona currently in the United States House of Representatives. He is a right-wing populist, an enabler of racists, anti-Semites, fascists, you name it. Gosar is obsessed with America's supposed "white demographic core."
In 2017, he tried blaming the left for the Unite the Right rally and promoted the anti-Semitic conspiracy theory that George Soros was responsible. He unsurprisingly supported conspiracy theories alleging that Donald Trump won the 2020 U.S. presidential election, and he also appeared in the March for Trump/Save America rally that preceded the 2021 U.S. Capitol riot. After the riot, he called the participants "peaceful patriots" who were being "harassed" by the Department of Justice.
America First Caucus
Gosar formed a congressional "America First" caucus to promote "Anglo-Saxon traditions." Following expected enormous backlash, he tried to run away from his involvement.
His siblings hate him
Defending Nick Fuentes
Gosar spoke at a white supremacist event organized by neo-Nazi Nick Fuentes in February 2021, and then claimed he actually opposes "white racism". If you don't know how awful Fuentes is, just read Benny Johnson's Twitter thread on him.
And guess what happened a few months later? Gosar held a fundraiser with Fuentes. No, seriously. And what was his excuse? He said he had no knowledge of the fundraiser. This is despite a literal flyer featuring both scums.
Gosar has previously attended AFPAC, which was hosted by Fuentes, yet he has also attended CPAC (despite CPAC being a target of hate for Fuentes and his Groyper army and its pundits having disavowed them).
Advocating violence against elected officials (with low-quality shitposts)
On November 8, 2021, Gosar made headlines by posting a quickly deleted shitpost tweet, asking "any anime fans out there?" Included in the tweet was an altered version of the opening credits of the anime series Attack on Titan, a complex series with deliberately ambiguous morality that has been both interpreted both as anti-fascist and also as pro-Nazi / Imperial Japan, depending on who you ask. The footage, interspersed with real-life footage of the United States Border Patrol, was crudely altered, with the implication being that Gosar was killing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and swinging two swords at Joe Biden.
Far from demonstrating Gosar to be the edgelord troll he clearly desired to be, the video was widely criticized for being "disgraceful", "an embarrassment", and completely inappropriate "cringe"... as well as something that, if one was not a Republican member of Congress, would normally get you fired from your job. Jennifer Gosar, one of Gosar's siblings, even responded to this video by calling Gosar an "incompetent" "sociopath" who has never been held accountable for his extremist bullshit. Gosar naturally bizarrely defended the shitpost, calling the criticism a "gross mischaracterization" and declaring in a statement that the video "symbolizes the battle for the soul of America", which for him (for some reason) is completely about "immigration policy" (or, as his siblings would describe it, white supremacy).
Crude, violent allusions at elected officials aside, actual anime fans noted that Gosar edited the video to depict himself as the main character of the show, Eren Jaeger. Showing that Gosar didn't really think about the implications of the edit, in the anime, Jaeger eventually obtains an omnicidal streak, seeking to destroy all life outside the walled city he lived in. The consensus of Attack on Titan fans was bemusement and general consensus that Gosar hadn't even seen a single episode of the anime.
On November 17, 2021, the House of Representatives voted to censure him for the first time since 2010 and to remove his committee assignments like they did for Marjorie Taylor Greene earlier that year. All Democrats voted for these actions, but only two Republicans voted for these punishments: Liz Cheney (in another of her series of 2021 stopped clock moments) and Adam Kinzinger. The rest of the Republicans instead decided to use this to stand by their man and to attack Democrats; Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy specifically threatened retribution. Trump only provided support for Gosar in a copy-paste endorsement like he used to give to candidates on Twitter. Gosar himself responded to the censure by retweeting the violent video, showing that his lack of remorse for his actions as well as epitomizing the Republican urge to troll.
He once sent a barrage of tweets to spell out "Epstein didn't kill himself." He has also tweeted pictures with weird green lines going through himself, political opponents, and landscape features, in line with an incredibly strange Twitter trend about masculinity that nobody has the mental stamina to unpack.
- Steve King: A former U.S. Representative also notorious for being a white nationalist and a fascist.
- Why Republicans Condemn Marjorie Taylor Greene, But Not Paul Gosar by Intelligencer
- Roberts, Laurie, published August 27, 2021. Paul Gosar is going full-on white nationalist and the GOP's silence is ... not surprising. The Arizona Republic, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Benen, Steve, published June 29, 2021. Arizona's Gosar pushes his luck with white nationalist connection. MSNBC, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Blake, Andrew, published August 28, 2021. Rep. Gosar threatens to sue reporter who called him a ‘white nationalist’. The Washington Times, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Simkins, J.D., published March 9, 2020. Congressman, a former dentist, says he’d ‘rather die gloriously in battle than from’ coronavirus. Military Times, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- 🪨Mineral Monday🪨 Today I want to talk about the mineral, Fluoride. There is evidence that fluoride helps to prevent tooth decay. However, is the prophylactic use of fluoride to improve oral health outweighed by any other health risks caused by the fluoride? Listen to hear more. by Paul Gosar (5:50 PM · Feb 28, 2022) Twitter (archived from ).
- Paul Gosar, the MAGA Dentist, Promotes Fluoride Conspiracy Theories by Ed Kilgore (March 2, 2022) New York Magazine.
- Congressman suggests Charlottesville rally was 'created by the left', William Cummings, USA Today 5 October 2017
- President Trump Wants You in DC January 6 Wild Protest (archived from January 1, 2021).
- Republican Lawmakers Claim January 6 Rioters Were Just Friendly Guys And Gals Taking A Tourist Trip Through The Capitol, Bess Levin, Vanity Fair 12 May 2021
- Brooks, Emily, published April 16, 2021. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar to launch 'America First Caucus' that praises 'Anglo-Saxon political traditions'. Washington Examiner, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Marcos, Christina, published April 16, 2021. Pro-Trump lawmakers form caucus promoting 'Anglo-Saxon political traditions'. The Hill, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Hansen, Ronald J., published August 16, 2021. Reps. Paul Gosar and Marjorie Taylor Greene promoting 'Anglo-Saxon' ideas in new caucus. The Arizona Republic, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Sheth, Sonam, published August 16, 2021. GOP Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar create 'America First Caucus' that emphasizes 'Anglo-Saxon political traditions'. Business Insider, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Papenfuss, Mary, published April 17, 2021. ‘Nativist Crap’: Critics Erupt In Fury Over New Conservative ‘Anglo-Saxon’ Caucus. Huffington Post, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Roche, Darragh, published April 17, 2021. America First's Anglo-Saxon 'Racist Dog-Whistle' Slammed by Historians. Newsweek, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Hansen, Ronald J., published April 18, 2021. Rep. Paul Gosar denies involvement with 'Anglo-Saxon' caucus group. The Arizona Republic, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Smith, Allan, published April 18, 2021. GOP Reps. Greene, Gosar distance themselves from 'Anglo-Saxon' traditions document. NBC News, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- GOP Rep. Paul Gosar’s Siblings Tell Him To Resign: ‘Have You No Sense Of Decency?’
- Segers, Grace, published September 22, 2018. Six siblings of GOP congressman endorse his opponent in viral campaign ad. CBS News, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- 6 of congressional candidate's siblings endorse opponent (Sep 24, 2018) YouTube.
- Weigel, David, published February 21, 2021. Rep. Gosar criticizes ‘white racism’ after speaking at event whose organizer called for white supremacy. The Washington Post, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Recently, there has been some confusion about who Nick Fuentes is. It’s time for the authoritative deep-dive on Fuentes. Disturbing videos of Fuentes have surfaced. Fuentes claims he is being “smeared” & “taken out of context.” Let’s let Nick speak for himself: by Benny Johnson (5:41 PM · Nov 18, 2019) Twitter (archived from November 19, 2019).
- Lonas, Lexi, published June 29, 2021. Gosar to hold fundraiser with white nationalist Nick Fuentes. The Hill, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Sotomayer, Marianna, published June 29, 2021. Rep. Gosar denies knowledge of fundraiser with group that promotes white-nationalist ideas despite invitation for the event Rep. Gosar denies knowledge of fundraiser with group that promotes white-nationalist ideas despite invitation for the event. The Washington Post, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- McLaughlin, Adam, published June 29, 2021. GOP Congressman Paul Gosar Holding Fundraiser With Proud Anti-Semite. Mediaite, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- McCormack, John, published June 30, 2021. Paul Gosar Showed His True Colors Months Ago. National Review, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- "Arizona Republican under fire deletes video showing him ‘kill’ AOC, migrants being disparaged" by Sandra Sanchez, Border Report, 2021 November 9
- "Why Attack on Titan Is the Alt-Right’s Favorite Manga" by Shaan Aminm, New Republic, 2020 November 16
- "Rep. Paul Gosar tweets altered anime video showing him killing Rep. Ocasio-Cortez and attacking President Biden" by Felicia Sonmez, Washington Post, 2021 November 8
- "Gosar's video targets AOC and Biden, but backfires big time" by Jill Filipovic, CNN, 2021 November 10
- "There he Gosars again, this time with an anime video in which he kills a congresswoman" by Laurie Roberts, Arizona Republic, 2021 November 8
- "Gosar's sister labels lawmaker a 'sociopath' after Ocasio-Cortez, Biden tweet" by Monique Beals, Hill, 2021 November 9
- "Rep. Paul Gosar Bizarrely Defends Anime Video Attacking Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez" by David Moye, Huffington Post, 2021 November 9
- "Rep. Paul Gosar’s siblings say he's a white supremacist — but his GOP colleagues stay silent" by Igor Derysh, Salon, 2021 March 13
- "Twitter Flags Rep. Paul Gosar’s ‘Attack on Titan’ Tweet as ‘Hateful Content’" by Gita Jackson, Vice, 2021 November 9
- "Far-Right Republican Representative Paul Gosar Posts Anti-Immigrant Parody of Attack on Titan OP" by Kim Morrissy, Anime News Network, 2021 November 8
- "Attack on Titan has been reduced to shambles", Reddit post on r/titanfolk, archived from the original post on 2021 November 10
- "House censures Rep. Gosar, ejects him from committees over video depicting slaying of Rep. Ocasio-Cortez" by Felicia Sonmez, Amy B. Wang, and Marianna Sotomayor, Washington Post, 2021 November 17
- "Trump endorses Gosar as Republicans rally around the lawmaker who posted an altered anime video with himself killing a colleague" by Felicia Sonmez and Eugene Scott, Washington Post, 2021 November 18
- "Minutes After Being Censured, Gosar Retweets Offending Ocasio-Cortez Video" by Aila Slisco, Newsweek, 2021 November 17
- Published November 13, 2019. Arizona Rep. Paul Gosar's tweets raise Jeffrey Epstein conspiracy theory. Associated Press, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Armus, Teo, published November 14, 2019. A GOP congressman hid a meme about Jeffrey Epstein’s death in his impeachment tweets. The Washington Post, retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Lucas Ropek, Gizmodo. ¨Why Congressman Paul Gosar Is Tweeting a Green Arrow Pointed at His Dick¨
- Gosar strikes again after the Texas shooting, proving (again) that's he's unfit for office, Laurie Roberts, AZ Central 25 May 2022