| Someone is wrong on|
“”The RationalWiki™ ('RW™) or (RadicalWiki) is a far-left feminist, SJW rip-off of Conservapedia where SJWs, Atheists, and trannies go to have a circlejerk and talk about how oppressed they are and how bigoted cisgenders and Trump supporters are toward Muslims. RationalWiki used to be a (sort of) funny troll parody of the Republicans who got banned from Wikipedia and created Conservapedia because they hated President Obama. Nowadays it's devolved into a place for euphoric atheists that are enlightened by their own intelligence (probable SJWs), Social Justice Warriors (aka SJWs), PZ Myers fanbase circlejerks (definite SJWs), and other low life basement dwellers to go rant about everything that triggers them, and is over 9000 times as bad as Conservapedia ever was. From feminists who think that fart is rape, to evolutionists who think that being smarter than Kent Hovind and flat-earthers is actually an accomplishment. It's so much of a circlejerk that it puts Reddit to shame. Not surprisingly, one of RW's founders and top sysops is that supreme Usenet and TOW troll, David "Slutty Vampire" Gerard.
|—Encyclopædia Dramatica on RW|
Encyclopædia Dramatica (ED) is a homophobic racist troll wiki that documents Internet culture, memes and "drama" for the lulz. ED documents everything it thinks is wrong with the Internet, and proudly does so in a style that exemplifies the very things wrong with the Internet.
ED is good at documenting memes and internet events, and gives frank reviews of popular websites. Since it's not limited by Wikipedia's stringent reliable source policies, it has better… je ne sais quoi. In particular, its article on Metal Archives,[note 1] its articles on Twilight and other bad works of fiction, and its extensive section on DeviantArt could possibly be considered praiseworthy. Perhaps the single most interesting article on ED is the one on trolling, which could be taken as being written by trolls. ED was also involved in Project Chanology.
In ED's own words, "expect blatant, biased lies, and expect boring truths to get deleted quickly". Where ED fails is mostly in its own obsessions with goatse, internet memes, furries, racist, sexist, ableist humor, and shock value. This is hardly surprising given its contributor overlap with 4chan and Anonymous (as such, its article on 4chan is quite favorable by comparison to others). It has also been used frequently as a tool against others, with people creating accounts just to write unfunny articles about others they disliked in hopes that other ED readers would attack said person. According to white supremacist Andrew Auernheimer ("weev"), who is more recently associated with The Daily Stormer, many ED articles were purveying racism and pushing the "pro-racist dialectic of lulz".
From 2014 to 2015, the continued presence of Channers and Redditors (especially from Gamergate-related groups) tended to give new ED additions a reactionary alt-right bent. Strangely, this change doesn't seem to have affected anyone outside of ED.
Encyclopedia Dramatica was utterly infested with advertisements in the past. Back then, even clicking the search bar resulted in annoying pop-up ads for porn half the time. For a while, there was also a pop-under ad, which was particularly insidious because you could close the browser window to get rid of Dramatica as your boss was approaching, and find that in its place now was an explicit full-page ad for PunishTube. On the other hand, as their goal seems to be to offend, that may have actually worked to their advantage. However, the staff announced this was problematic and fixed the issue:
ATTENTION: ED is NOT asking for donations.Anyone asking for donations to pay the server bills is trying to scam you.
ED was started in 2004 by the trolls at LJDrama.org, documenting and encouraging LiveJournal users and their overblown drama and unwarranted self-importance. The owner and founder was Sherrod DeGrippo, aka Girlvinyl. The site quickly attracted similar netizens from 4chan, the GNAA, Bantown, and so forth.
Midway through April 2011, visitors were surprised to be redirected to a site calling itself "OhInternet", a blatant ripoff of Know Your Meme. DeGrippo had apparently shut down ED for good, replacing it with "a more toned down content style and a streamlined design", having decided that having every second wikilink take you to "SJW", "nigger" or "faggot" pages was no longer financially viable in the face of escalating liability over various attack pages. It's also possible that there were no more places to put porn ads. OhInternet in turn died in October 2013; nobody noticed or cared.
Fans promptly started a few forks, dredging ED pages out of the Google cache. Here's a list:
- encyclopediadramatica.ch (dead)
- encyclopediadramatica.se (dead)
- encyclopediadramatica.es (dead)
- encyclopediadramatica.se (came and went again)
- encyclopediadramatica.rs (dead)
- encyclopediadramatica.fyi (dead)
- encyclopediadramatica.wiki (current)
- encyclopediadramatica.online (dead)
encyclopediadramatica.se has been the most successful reanimation, but has been down for some time without even bothering to pretend it has any legal oversight. With no porn ads... just kidding, porn ads again. Yeah, they are that site — the one that seriously still used popup ads. The second incarnation loaded somewhat faster than the original, and the aforementioned ads had been relegated to the sidebar, but this is a reminder that an ad blocker as mentioned earlier is strongly advised. See the above section for more information.
.wiki and .online are the current incarnations as of February 2021. Both are similar in appearance to the previous versions, and no one is exactly sure why the .online version was started in the first place.
In 2019, Conrad Rockenhaus was the admin of Encyclopædia Dramatica and hosted the site through his company GreyPonyIT. ED is protected by Cloudflare. In August 2019, the site experienced a long period of downtime but was back online by October. In October 2019, ED's official Twitter account responded, claiming Rockenhaus "hosts us through his hosting company" but is not the owner of ED.Do You Believe That? In November 2019, both Conrad and ED's official Twitter accounts were permanently suspended.
In January 2020, the site went offline. Their official Facebook account posted, "RIP ED i guess lol", and also stated that they could not restore the site using backups because "the people with the backups are in federal custody and soon to be prison". The site returned in March 2020 under new management (again), up and running under the .wiki domain, but with much of the images missing, many of the articles in mangled condition (assuming they weren't mangled to begin with), and the forums completely gone.[note 2] Time will tell if ED's former "lulzy glory" is restored.
The creator and current owner of the .wiki version of ED is Jacob Stellmach, and the company is registered in Nevada. Stellnach describes himself as a "technical analyst and darknet researcher". It also contains links to his Twitter ban-evasion service and his "library" including such nice things like The International Jew and Mussolini speeches.
Encyclopædia Dramatica have been banned on Twitter many times. In April 2020, they opened yet another account:
So here's how it's gonna work.
Since Twitter so obviously likes us being here, we've got several throwaway accounts ready to be made instantly.
We'll tweet from here, but only RT from main. Which means we can say whatever we want more or less even if suspended.
- RationalWiki Encyclopædia Dramatica (archived from November 3, 2019).
- Metal Archives Encyclopædia Dramatica' (archived from October 29, 2019).
- Encyclopaedia Metallum Wikipedia (archived from October 26, 2019).
- Twilight, or Why Mormons Shouldn't Write Vampire Fiction Encyclopædia Dramatica (archived from July 8, 2019).
- Fifty Shades of Grey Encyclopædia Dramatica (archived from June 24, 2019).
- Inheritance Encyclopædia Dramatica (archived from May 27, 2019).
- Mary Sue Encyclopædia Dramatica (archived from July 22, 2019).
- My Immortal Encyclopædia Dramatica (archived from August 22, 2019).
- DeviantART Encyclopædia Dramatica (archived from August 23, 2019).
- Trolling Encyclopædia Dramatica (archived from August 9, 2019).
- About Encyclopædia Dramatica (archived from November 3, 2019).
- Richard Spencer is a Trap reply by by weev (2015) The Right Stuff Forum (archived from 11 Oct 2017 14:51:05 UTC).
- Heart Encyclopædia Dramatica (archived from January 28, 2018).
- Encyclopedia Dramatica Is No More: OhInternet Rises from the Ashes by Robert Quigley (April 15th, 2011) The Mary Sue.
- If you're interested in supporting the new home of ED and ED in general (since I pool the money) @GreyPonyIT starts with Basic VMs for $2.99/mo and VPCa for $1.99/mo. by Conrad Rockenhaus (@RockRockenhaus) (7:43 AM - 31 Aug 2019) Twitter (archived from November 3, 2019).
- .@eddotse @RationalWiki For some reason, even though you've never identified an owner in centuries, you guys are trying to lie on @RockRockenhaus for owning us when he doesn't. He hosts us through his hosting company. Big diff. Oh, and you're lying about his discharge, L0LSUIT? by Encyclopædia Dramatica (4:54 PM - 29 Oct 2019) Twitter (archived from 30 Oct 2019 01:56:59 UTC).
- encyclopediadramatica.rs Whois (archived from 30 Oct 2019 01:45:50 UTC).
- encyclopediadramatica.se Whois (archived from 30 Oct 2019 01:35:05 UTC).
- "RIP ED i guess lol", Encyclopedia Dramatica, Facebook, 2020 Jan 15
- "Encyclopedia Dramatica:Restoration 2020", Encyclopedia Dramatica, archived from the original on 12 Apr 2020
- Encyclopedia Dramatica LLC
- Existential crisis at Encyclopedia Dramatica
- "I came to this page to make clear that I am the current owner of Encyclopedia Dramatica LLC which is now registered in Nevada." Archived.