Thanks to everyone for helping us break last years record!
Details to be posted soon, awesome job!
|Goal: $7,200||Donations so far: $7690.21|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate today!
|None like it hot|
|Lies, talking points, manufactroversies|
|Some dare call it|
“”I’m not a conspiracy theorist and I hate being even pushed toward that, but I think there is a consensus conspiracy that’s going on.
“”So-called global warming is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy-independent, clean our air and water, improve fuel-efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st century industries, and make our cities safer and more livable. Don’t let them get away with it!
The Great Global Warming Conspiracy Theory refers to the questionable ideas bandied about by global warming denialists that global warming either isn't happening or is being over-hyped by a group of people who feel that they have some advantage to gain by promoting the evidence for global warming.
Besides the general nonsensical nature of many of these theories, they generally fail to answer how the conspiracy reaches back to John Tyndall's discovery of the greenhouse effect in 1859 (perhaps Al Gore invented a time machine after he was done with the Internet).
 Out of one, many
As is typical of many conspiracy theories, there is not one theory but several contradictory ones. Some of the ones identified here are now a little out of date, and no doubt conspiracy theorists have now invented some other tortured reasons for people backing the "conspiracy."
Because of the multiplicity of contradictory theories it is a good idea to get a global warming denialist to explicitly state which particular "theory" they are backing. There are two reasons for this:
- Amateur conspiracy theorists are usually not very bright and frequently don't know much about their own theory, and consequently can't give a direct answer - only that there must be a conspiracy.
- In the event that the person does have a clear idea, you obviously must know which one so as not to waste your time talking about another one.
The following are some of the many specific conspiracies identified regarding global warming. Note that this lists conspiracies rather than flat-out denials, though they often go in tandem.
 It's an attempt by the UN to take over the USA
Apparently, an individual named "Maurice Strong" is behind an attempt to use the United Nations and its Framework Convention on Global Climate Change to...well...take over either the world or the United States. He is apparently assisted in this by World Economic Forum, the Club of Rome, the Aspen Institute, the Fabian Society and Communist China - he is, however, opposed by none other than The Dalai Lama! Christopher Monckton loves this one.
 It's that nasty Jacques Chirac
 It's the scientists
It's an attempt by scientists, politicians and environmentalists to take over the world. According to William M. Gray, they wish to find "a political cause that would enable them to organize, propagandize, force conformity and exercise political influence.'" Apparently Al Gore has something to do with it. Muahahaha!
 It's because scientists are denied funding
It's all a hoax invented by all the world's climate scientists to get funding. The "evil" scientists have managed to fool the UN, the European Union, and the entire world. This angle is also rather ironic considering that a sinecure at a denialist think tank can easily pay better than an actual post as a climatology professor.
 It's a green scam
All climate scientists obviously own stock in green and renewable energy companies and they're pushing the theory to inflate their retirement funds and the green energy companies will make out like bandits.
 It's the environmentalists
It's a plot by those nasty environmentalists who want to prevent Africa developing a carbon economy. Alternatively, it's a plot by environmentalists who want to promote a carbon economy in Africa while damaging the USA's industrial output. Two "theories" for the price of one!
 It's a plot by left-wingers to destroy the industrialized world
This one suggests that it's associated with the anti-globalisation movement and it's an attempt to cripple the world economy. How accepting international treaties while being against globalization is a good question to ask.
 It's an attempt to promote nuclear power
According to this "theory," it's all about an attempt by Margaret Thatcher, and presumably her successors, to make the people of the world accept non-CO2-producing nuclear power. It's not exactly clear what Phase 2 is, but Phase 3 seems to be "profit." This was promoted in the film The Great Global Warming Swindle.
As it becomes clear that "politically correct" renewable energy sources such as wind and ground-based solar are unable to meet the needs of civilisation, expect this one to be uttered more often by fossil fuel industry opponents. It is noteworthy that the UK nuclear power industry has been handed over to the French! (see Jacques Chirac above)
 It's the Weather Channel
Follow the money. Who profits from extreme weather? The elite cabal of the Weather Channel, of course. By manipulating the climate for better ratings, the CEO stands to make literally
thousands hundreds tens of dollars. This conspiracy may or may not be entirely serious and may be ranked among the likes of the conspiracy that Princess Diana was murdered by florists who wanted to boost sales.
 It's a government attempt to control corporations
This theory claims that a carbon emissions tax (as proposed again by Al Gore, OMG!) would allow the United States government to gain substantial influence over industry (which, after the way they've managed to facilitate a global recession, wouldn't be a bad thing, if the recession wasn't mostly caused by problems in the housing market, of course).
Exactly why Al Gore would benefit from the US government controlling corporations is unclear. Furthermore, with all the investment the government is presently being forced to make in industry, it may end up controlling a lot of it whether it has a carbon tax or not.
 It's a Commie plot
Supported by, among others, Frederick Seitz and Eric S. Raymond, this claim is that global warming was a Soviet plot meant to undermine capitalism. Terms like "memetic weapon". and "leftover KGB psyops" have been thrown around, making this one of the loonier approaches.
 It's a global eugenics and/or depopulation scheme
This brand of the conspiracy theory states that global warming is a front for the implementation of a worldwide eugenics program or a scheme to depopulate the planet and kill off the "useless eaters." Quotes from nutty hard greens (Pentti Linkola is a perennial favorite) often come in handy for "proving" this. A particularly amusing if little-known variant of this conspiracy theory posits that the depopulation plan was initiated by the anthropologist Margaret Mead at a 1975 conference on overpopulation. This theory is more popular in the conspiracist pro-life circles due to its connection with the issue of abortion and it also makes for some good red-baiting material due to China's one-child policy, and you don't want to end up like those dirty Reds now do you?
 The case of Anthony Watts
 The real conspiracy
There actually is a conspiracy surrounding climate change, and it's not what you'll hear from most conspiracy theorists: between 2003 and 2010, more than $7 billion were spent by conservative billionaires to fund anti-AGW organizations such as the Heritage Foundation, the Heartland Institute, and the Competitive Enterprise Institute. Follow the money, indeed..
 See also
- Doctors for Disaster Preparedness
- E. Calvin Beisner
- Evil Liberal Science Conspiracy
- CO2 is Green
- Michael Crichton
- Towards a genealogy of climate conspiracy theories, International Journal of Inactivism
- The Greenhouse Conspiracy, 1990 documentary promoting a climate conspiracy
- ↑ Interview with Tim Ball
- ↑ 
- ↑ Timeline - Discovery of Global Warming
- ↑ Didn't the UN already collectively take over the world, or most of it already? I mean the member nations spans almost the entire world's land above water. I can understand taking over a country as in interfering the policies of that country, but the world as a whole is mostly controlled by UN as a whole since pretty much after World War II.
- ↑ http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/strong.htm
- ↑ http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=23642
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMe5dOgbu40
- ↑ http://epw.senate.gov/speechitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263759
- ↑ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/23/AR2006052301305_pf.html
- ↑ Maybe it is because it is the people who come up with this conspiracy theory who denies fundings to the scientists.
- ↑ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=440049&in_page_id=1965&in_page_id=1965&expand=true
- ↑ http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2011/02/if-climate-scientists-push-the-consensus-its-not-for-the-money.ars
- ↑ http://www.nationalcenter.org/P21NVPeterson401.html
- ↑ Melanie Phillips!
- ↑ http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3724/is_200703/ai_n18705944
- ↑ http://www.prisonplanet.com/global-warming-or-global-governance.html
- ↑ Naomi Oreskes and Erik M. Conway. Challenging Knowledge: How Climate Science Became a Victim of the Cold War. In Agnotology: The Cultural Production of Ignorance, edited by Robert Proctor and Londa Schiebinger, Stanford University Press.
- ↑ Outside Crazy Red-baiter World, "memetic weapons" are better known as "advertising". Um...
- ↑ The Link Between Eugenics and Global Warming Hype, New American
- ↑ If humans are a virus, then what is the end game? Info Wars
- ↑ Margaret Mead's Bashers Owe Her an Apology, John Horgan
- ↑ http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/dec/20/conservative-groups-1bn-against-climate-change