| Frogs, clowns and swastikas|
|Rebuilding the Reich, one meme at a time|
|Buzzwords and dogwhistles|
“”I bet the police and FBI love Josh.
Nothing makes law enforcement happier than websites that distribute how-to guides on making convincing terror threats (with handy email services for sending the threats), as well as detailed stories about child sexual abuse murder. Bonus! Now their members actually kill children (after chatting with Josh)!
“”When you put something stupid/embarrassing/whatever on the internet, it's on the internet forever. After you put it out there, it becomes ours. We own it. And if we feel like digging it up and laughing at it, we will. And if you decide to chimp out over that, we will love you for it with all our hearts, and you too will become ours. And when something is ours, it's ours forever. We might get bored with it and put it down. We might play with it a little too hard and break it. But it never stops being ours, and someday in the future we'll remember it, and pick it back up again.
Would you like to become ours, my dear?
|—Kiwi Farms user Dynastia|
Kiwi Farms is an immensely creepy stalking forum run by manchild Joshua Conner Moon out of his mom's house. The people who are stalked are what are known as "lolcows" to the site's userbase or "exceptional individuals".[note 1] Think some of the Internet's worst assholes projecting their frustration onto minorities – and now that you're picturing GamerGate, think creepier.
There hasn't been much action taken on Kiwi Farms, despite them being responsible for harming many people (directly and indirectly), costing them jobs and partners, exaggerating and spinning rumors, or even mentally abusing their victims to the point of taking their own lives. In fact, the owners maintain that there is nothing illegal about the site, citing legal technicalities (we don't harass people; our users do!) and comparing the targeted harassment campaigns to something as innocent as a phonebook (hello, prank calls!). Perhaps in anticipation of potential deplatforming (or maybe to make it easier to shit on people anonymously), Kiwifarms appears to have a darkweb .onion domain as of July 2020.
Ableism, transphobia and general shittiness
“”Consider that across the forums there are multiple warnings to members to conceal their identity. For KFers, anonymity isn't a choice but a necessity — they know what they're doing is probably illegal, and that their anonymity insulates them from any consequences. They know their "entertainment" harms vulnerable people, which is why some of them felt bad when that one target hanged herself. But, most important, they know that if their anonymity were compromised, their own community might eat them alive.
|—Margaret Pless, writing for New York Magazine about the questionable legality of the site users' actions|
Critics of Kiwi Farms point out that the "Lolcows" who end up on the website are digitally stalked, harassed (by having rumors and smears posted about them) and doxed (including full names, birthdays, workplaces, personal social media accounts, and even street addresses and phone numbers). They'll often dox family members, dig deep for social media accounts, and pretty much stop short of their targets' Social Security numbers. Hell, even people who are ideologically aligned to them like Mister Metokur get doxed. At least four people have committed suicide after being featured on Kiwi Farms. Perhaps unsurprisingly, several of the site's users proceeded to mock these people.
Kiwi Farms was originally dedicated to monitoring the activities of an autistic person named Christine Weston Chandler, more commonly known as "Chris-Chan", who is notorious across the web for her bizarre crossover web comic between video game characters Sonic the Hedgehog and Pikachu, called "Sonichu". Christine would eventually be arrested for allegedly having sex with her mother, using evidence that had been posted on Kiwi Farms.
Many "Lolcows" on the forum have (or in most cases, are simply accused of having) autism, and Kiwi Farms derogatorily labels these people as "spergs" (after Asperger's syndrome). Transgender "Lolcows" are described as the pejorative "troons" or "trannies", often end up in the "Rat Kings" category, and are often portrayed as either faking their dysphoria or being mentally unstable. Most "cows" are described as what are known as "exceptional individuals", coined after a post filter was installed to replace the word "retards". On its now-banned Twitter account, Kiwi Farms described its purpose as "gossip and exploitation of the mentally handicapped for amusement purposes". For this reason and the fact that there is content that is offensive to the disabled on the forum, Kiwi Farms is considered by some to be a hate speech website. Furthermore, the sign-up page for the site once came with a disclaimer saying "autistics will be laughed at. Trannies will be misgendered. People will try to find where you live." So the community is a bunch of assholes.
Kiwi Farms' harassment goes beyond gender and neurological minorities. They target asexual people, despite them not being the most common target of abuse, having a thread on AVEN. The site's members will also target people with medical blogs (primarily women) by accusing them of exaggerating or even faking their illnesses. They target beauty gurus, artists and cosplayers, and regularly engage in fat shaming and looks discrimination.
Posters tend to lean right politically. Many posters are far-right, and some are involved with 4chan and Encyclopædia Dramatica. They also tend to be white males in their 20's and 30's, and much like their dear leader, they're also antisemitic. Despite the site's rampant transphobia, a sizable minority of its users are trans people who love to point out how any trans person they don't like isn't really trans. On the other end, the site is also popular with TERFs as a means of receiving the personal information on their targets. Much the same there's a minority of people on the site who are far-left Tankies.
According to Alexa, Kiwi Farms receives over a million monthly sessions.
Kiwi Farms was temporarily shut down on January 24, 2017 due to the owner's family getting harassed. It was reopened three weeks later under the same management without fanfaire, leading many to assume it was still down.
On June 27, 2021, Near,[note 2] the developer of the popular SNES emulator higan took their own life after a 3 year long harassment campaign by the site. The forums responded largely with mockery and outright denial of the suicide in the first place, even as repeated evidence came forward that Near indeed committed suicide. In response, the site got DDOSed the next couple of days, and lost Dreamhost as its domain registrar which led the site to move to Cloudflare for its hosting.
Genesis of the name
The name "Kiwi Farms" fortunately has nothing to do with kiwi birds, kiwifruit, or people from New Zealand, where it has been blocked since March 2019 for spreading the Christchurch shooter's video and manifesto. In fact, the forum was originally known as the "CWCki Forums". (The CWCki, pronounced like 'Quickie', is a wiki dedicated to monitoring the aforementioned Christine Chandler.) The site was christened "Kiwi Farms" to mock someone with a speech impediment saying the original name, struggling with its unintuitive pronunciation.
Joshua Conner Moon
- He is loosely associated with the alt-right.
- Moon supports Trump, referred to Obama as "The Nigger in chief", and believes in the racist and rank white genocide conspiracy theory.
- He thinks feminism ruins Western culture and says the word "cuck" a lot, probably because it rolls off the tongue well. And the company he keeps is overtly racist and spouts about "white genocide" and wanting to destroy feminism with fire.
- More controversially, he has posted that Muslims and refugees need to be killed. In an attempt to defend him, some Kiwi Farms users allege that these statements are not serious, but it's his choice and consequence to toe the line between being a creepy asshole and making an over-the-top joke.
- He is also an anti-semite.
- He's pro-Julian Assange, saying he would rather be set on fire by ISIS than deal with the UK government in reference to Assange's arrest.
Runs in the family
His own mom was a Kiwi member and has been in trouble with the police. She also worked for Keller Williams as a realtor until she was fired when her activity on Kiwi Farms seemingly exposed.
- He was banned from YouTube due to bullying and harassment.
His @KiwiFarms Twitter account was permanently suspended for racism.Nope, it's back up under @KiwiFarmsDotNet, although supposedly only for status updates.
- He was also apparently banned from PayPal.
- He was sacked as an admin for 8chan for allegedly promoting pedophilia.
Pissed at us
Kiwi Farms has a thread "discussing" RationalWiki, which it describes as a "whiny hugbox for spergs and a clusterfuck of never ending drama on a rapidly declining website". Cynical later helpfully labeled the statement as "sarcasm", though it's not clear what part of the statement is supposed to be "sarcastic", especially since he continued to insult us.
- /pol/, The site's ancestor
- lolcow, the site victims
- Mikemikev, a neo-Nazi "lolcow" with a 700+ page thread on Kiwi Farms
- Encyclopædia Dramatica, a crude wiki that pulls no punches when it comes to the mocking and ridiculing of others.
- Debunking Misinformation, a response to a recent Tumblr article
- Website Kiwi Farms refuses to surrender data linked to accused Christchurch terrorist Brendan Tarrant: A notorious web forum has refused requests to surrender data from posts about the accused NZ terrorist, instead unleashing a profane rant. by Marnie O’Neill (March 19, 201911:00am) News.com.au.
- Kiwi Farms the biggest community of stalkers. (19 Jul 2016). New York Magazine.
- Mister Metokur Dox Via Kiwi Farms
- The Brilliant SNES Emulator Author Known As Near Has Died, Kotaku
- Joshua Moon questioned over legal status of Kiwi Farms. (26 Aug 2016). Crocels News.
- Notorious forum Kiwi Farms closed following alleged harassment of founder’s family by William Hicks (24 Jan 2017) |Heat Street (archived from January 29, 2017).
- Twitter shuts down account of cyber-bully Joshua Moon. (19 Nov 2016). Crocels News.
- Her fan web comic even has as an entry on Know Your Meme.
- Christine Chandler arrested on suspicion of incest
- Sign up. (17 Feb 2017). Archive.is
- Kiwi Farms Twitter account. (23 Jan 2016). Archive.is.
- CW: Anti Semitism
- The Silicon Valley quest to preserve Stephen Hawking's voice, San Fransisco Chronicle
- A message about Near from a mutual friend. Google Doc of the situation.
- Near's Twitter account
- Thread The Great Twitter Meltdown of 2021 page 4
- Null response regarding Byuu / Near
- Someone is currently paying money to DoS attack the forum. Archived from Kiwi Farms, 28 June 2021.
- kiwifarms.net whois lookup, who.is, Archived on 28 July 2021.
- Website Kiwi Farms refuses to surrender data linked to accused Christchurch terrorist Brendan Tarrant
- Null's Page
- Josh's Victory Dance
- White Genocide. Archive.is.
- Joshua Null Moon Twitter Account. (15 Nov 2016). Archive.is.
- Joshua Moon's extreme comments about killing refugees. (17 Feb 2017). Archive.fo.
- Cut Jews Fingers off
- Archived From Old Twitter
- Josh on Assange Via Twitter
- Son Like Mother
- His Mom's Profile
- Keller Williams
- She Got Fired
- @KiwiFarmsDotNet, Twitter
- Banned From PayPal but not from Mastercard
- RationalWiki thread on Kiwifarms
- RationalWiki Kiwi Farms. (Nov 24, 2015). Retrieved December 20, 2017.