| You gotta spin it to win it|
|Stop the presses!|
|We want pictures|
Townhall.com is a website that allows wingnuts to rant about anything too liberal for them, which is nearly everything. It is further to the right than the National Review Online. Like Salem Radio Network it is owned by Salem Communications. It represents all of the loudest sects of the American right, including hardline neoconservatism, the religious right, and some paleoconservatives.
Townhall is a hotbed for wingnut paranoia. It has a severe persecution complex and sees liberalism everywhere, which is trying to destroy Christianity and democracy as we know it. Like most websites on the radical right blogosphere it has many columns opposing the "gay agenda", abortion, the "liberal media" (which is almost all of the media), universal healthcare, and Barack Obama. It promotes global warming denialism, the Iraq War, torture, and, oddly, Sarah Palin. There is an inherent disdain and paranoia towards Europe, Hollywood, and "liberal elites" such as Al Gore. For whatever reason, random attacks on John McCain and his daughter Meghan McCain for not being "true conservative Republicans" is a running theme as well.
Pretty much any notable conservative can contribute an article to the site regardless of their credentials, leading to the site having too many contributors to name. They pump out tens of articles in no time, which helps counter any fact checkers who would need to go through the massive list of archives to find the absolute worst articles. Here's a list of their most "notable" columnists.
- Jonah Goldberg
- Michelle Malkin
- Herman Cain
- George W. Bush (though it's just an excerpt from his book)
- Michelle Bachmann
- Neal Boortz
- Pat Buchanan
- Bill O'Reilly
- Newt Gingrich
- Christopher Hitchens (not a conservative; the only article he submitted was on U.S. history)
- William F. Buckley
- Christine O'Donnell
- Hugh Hewitt
There are some more columnists of note, but for the most part the list is made up C-list conservative celebrities. It's worth noting that not all of the columnists get along with each other. For instance, William F. Buckley wanted to impeach Bush, which went against the wishes of the majority of the other contributers. Another example would be when Michael Medved and Jonah Goldberg criticized Dennis Prager over his attack on Keith Ellison for being sworn into office on the Koran.
A few articles
- Hugh Hewitt humiliates Nate Silver by predicting a Mitt Romney landslide! Over 100 Townhall readers voted the article was "awesome".
- Michael Medved reveals the politically incorrect truth, that American DNA is just plain better than European or African DNA.
- "Why is bisexuality not a recipe for infidelity?" To Mona Charen you're not really a bisexual unless you're actively sleeping with both sexes.
- All the pseudoscience surrounding abortion in one article
- Michelle Malkin goes nuts. Here's a taste: "Rubio, Ryan and other Republicans who've made common cause with these welfare-state goons have betrayed fundamental principles of limited government and the rule of law. They've allied themselves with the mob. There's nothing, not one thing, "conservative" about mass illegal alien amnesty. It's the complete Chicago-ization of America."
- Thomas Sowell doesn't think Obama is a socialist, because it turns out Obama's actually a fascist. Thanks for clearing that up Tom. Oh, and over 500 Townhall readers gave the article positive reviews.
- WND- Because Townhall just isn't extreme enough.
- Salem Radio Network - Owned by the same company.
- Sadly, No! - Pokes fun at the site often.
- Michael Brown