There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2021.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
Moody Institute of Science
| The divine comedy|
The Moody Institute of Science (MIS) was a production company for pro-creationism and anti-science media, spun off from the fundamentalist Moody Bible Institute. MIS's leader and film director was pastor Irwin A. Moon (1907-1986). Its successor was Discovery Media, which now appears to be defunct. MIS produced films from 1938 to roughly 1972.
Moody was also responsible for bringing an appreciation of science to the fundamentalist Christian community; prior to the films, it had been widely believed among fundamentalists that science led "directly to atheism".
They produced a lot of quite mainstream science films that they infiltrated into public school classrooms and the US military — always taking time to say that God was responsible. MIS's infiltration in the opposite direction, fundamental Christianity infiltrated by science, can be viewed as the precursor to intelligent design.
- Moody Institute of Science — a collection of the films on YouTube
- Oddball Films: Psycho Science from the Moody Institute - Thurs. Jan. 3rd - 8PM — a mini film festival of Moody films from 2012
- Moody Bible Institute
- Rev. Irwin Moon, 78, Science Film Producer by Kenan Heise (May 24, 1986) Chicago Tribune.
- "Something Different in Science Films": The Moody Institute of Science and the Canned Missionary Movement by Marsha Orgeron & Skip Elsheimer. The Moving Image Volume 7, Number 1, Spring 2007, pp. 1-26 | 10.1353/mov.2007.0025.
- The Moody Institute of Science, Irwin Moon and ‘Scientific-Evangelicalism’ in the US Military by Samuel Reid