There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2019.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
Appeal to hate
| Part of the series on|
Logic and rhetoric
“”The horrible thing about the Two Minutes Hate was not that one was obliged to act a part, but that it was impossible to avoid joining in. Within thirty seconds any pretense was always unnecessary. A hideous ecstasy of fear and vindictiveness, a desire to kill, to torture, to smash faces in with a sledge hammer, seemed to flow through the whole group of people like an electric current, turning one even against one's will into a grimacing, screaming lunatic.
|—George Orwell, 1984|
All poisoning the well is an appeal to hate.
- argumentum ad odium
- appeal to spite
If overlaying some text on a dead body:
- P1: X is asserted in the context of maddening situation Y.
- P2: (unstated) Anything asserted in a maddening context is true.
- C1: X is true.
If the listener hates the speaker:
- P1: X is asserted by a maddening person Y.
- P2: (unstated) Anything asserted by a maddening person is false.
- C1: X is false.
Just because something makes you mad does not mean that it is more or less true.
- Don't listen to him, he's a [slur].
- Prior to meeting someone, you are told that they always try to get money from acquaintances. When you meet, everything you hear is tainted.
- Galileo claims that the Earth revolves around the Sun. But remember, he's heretic scum. Can you trust a man like that?
- Why shouldn't prisoners be forced to do hard labor? Prisons are full of scumbags!
- How could you believe in God? He's such a horrible tyrant!
- See the Wikipedia article on Appeal to spite.
- Fallacy: Appeal to Spite, Nizkor Project
- Appeal to Spite, ESGS