Argumentum ad nauseam
| Part of the series on|
Logic and rhetoric
An argumentum ad nauseam (also known as an argument by repetition) is the logical fallacy that something becomes true if it is repeated often enough. An ad nauseam argument that can be easily shown to be false leads to the "point refuted a thousand times".
Due to the modern 24 hour cable news cycle and the fact every idiot now has a blog, argumentum ad nauseam has become particularly prevalent. In politics it is usually used in the form of a talking point, which is then reduced to a three second sound bite and is repeated at every available opportunity. On the blogosphere it takes the form of a meme, where every like minded blogger repeats a statement used by a fellow blogger. Twitter, where every message has to be less than 280 (and until recently just 140) characters, has only made this latter form of viral propaganda worse.
Repeating an opinion again and again seems to convince people that it is true — maybe because it simulates the effect of many people having that opinion.
- CNN is fake news.
- "HeadOn, apply directly to forehead! HeadOn, apply directly to forehead! HeadOn, apply directly to forehead! HeadOn, apply directly to forehead! HeadOn, apply directly to forehead!"
- Evolution is just a theory.
- Life begins at conception.
- The creation-evolution debate is a debate about worldviews.
- Obamacare will install death panels and kill your grandmother.
- "Yes we can."
- The science of global warming is still unclear.
- The "Founding Fathers" intended for the USA to be a Christian nation.
- No blood for oil.
- There are no transitional fossils.
- 9/11 was an inside job.
- Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white.
- Ron Paul
2008 2012 20162020.
- The New World Order is nearly upon us!
- Wake up!
- Actually, it's about ethics in game journalism.
- The Earth hasn't warmed since 1998.
- The Jews are to blame for Germany's problems!
- There is no pay gap!
- "Stop the boats"
- "No Carbon tax" / "Axe the tax"
- "Hope, reward, opportunity"
- Jobs and growth
- "I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me" And it'll be yuge!
- "Mexico will pay for that wall."
- No passenger railway in the world makes a profit
- There are only two genders.
- Carthago delenda est
"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
|—Lewis Carroll, The Hunting Of The Snark|
- Big lie
- Philip J. Rayment
- Fun:Creationist Argument Bingo
- Gish Gallop
- Infinite regress
- Circular reasoning