There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2019.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| Part of the series on|
Logic and rhetoric
Demonization (or 'demonisation,' as it is spelt in British English) is an argumentative strategy, often employed in political contexts, whereby one group consistently paints a rival group as evil, corrupt, bent on their enslavement or destruction, or engaged in various other forms of malevolence. Such a strategy is quite good for whipping up lynch mobs, quelling internal strife 'in the face of the common threat,' and stifling the usual twinges of conscience most people experience when mistreating others. Demonization is often aided by and sometimes requires the use of otherism.
- One of the long-standing examples of demonization is anti-Semitism.
- People of Hispanic descent are often demonized by US politicians. Anti-Hispanic rhetoric was a central strategy in US President-elect Donald Trump's 2016 campaign; for many in the US, Hispanics have become a scapegoat for joblessness and other economic woes, not to mention Trump's infamous "criminals, drug dealers, rapists" line.
- Conservative talk radio depends on the demonization of liberals (and even moderates) for most of their material; barring said demonization of moderates, similar can be said of some left-leaning radio as well.
- In Internet debates, demonization often rears its head in the form of Godwin's Law: comparing the opposition to Hitler and/or the Nazis.
- Evil baby-killing America-hating Liberal
- Evil Neo-Nazi Fascist Minority-hating Conservative
- Evil "they're all jihadists" Muslim-hating bigot
- Evil Liberal Science Conspiracy
- Evil Jew
- Inflammatory language
- Hate speech
- Ad hominem
- Largely since the events of 9/11