| Some dare call it|
|What THEY don't want|
you to know!
“”I'm proud of my enemies. When I look at the enemies I have all over the world, I must be doing something right.
George Soros (1930–) is a Hungarian-born billionaire. Most people don't know much about him, and his name makes him sound like a Bond villain (plus, his surname is a palindrome). What better guy to portray as the brain to which the entire progressive movement is beholden? The movement is easier to demonize when it seems like it's all the machination of one rich evil,
Jewish bastard. In reality, what he's doing is fairly innocuous. Indeed, Soros has done some good in the world by funding district attorneys who oppose the War on (Some) Drugs (so he can smoke dope in Albany?). Perhaps one day the state can mind its own business rather than spending oodles of money on non-violent drug offenders.
Bankrolling liberals and wingnut conspiracies
Soros actually made modest donations to the GOP in the 1980s and 1990s, and the GOP initially considered Soros an ally because of his opposition to communist dictators. Soros ceased donating to the GOP after George W. Bush invaded Iraq in 2003 based on faulty intelligence.
George Soros is a well-known funder of various liberal organizations, including the Center for American Progress, MoveOn.org, and a princely $1 million donation to Media Matters. It was speculated that he gave funds to the Occupy movement in 2011; however, this was proven not the case. He also funds a whole bunch of NGOs, mostly dealing with civic supervision over governments, which is something authoritarian parties (e.g. PiS, Fidesz, PSD, United Russia) don't like.
Soros is also an evil spectre for Bill O'Reilly that, Bill believes, funds the liberal media, runs Media Matters, funds ACORN, and is the sole monetary force behind Air America Radio. This paranoia, of course, occurs only in the fantasy universe of Fox News. Glenn Beck concocted a conspiracy theory in which Soros secretly bankrolled communist eastern European regimes despite the fact that he actually supported anti-communist opposition parties in these states.
Cue the anti-Semitism
Being known as "The Man Who Broke the Bank of England," Soros features in many international Jewish conspiracy theories (and he usually has ties to the Rothschild family, of course). During the 1997-98 southeast Asian financial crisis, Malaysian premier Mahathir bin Mohamad fingered Soros as the head of a Jewish cabal that had caused the crisis. This began a feud between the two that lasted until 2006, when Mahathir apologized.
And, of course, who can forget Glenn Beck's super-duper-original 'puppet master' theory?
Soros' Holocaust experience
“”soros, who was 9 y/o on V-Day, was the architect of the holocaust.
|—KRANG T. NELSON|
Various nutty sources allege that Soros -- who is Jewish -- was actively involved in perpetrating the Holocaust. He has been falsely accused of a wide range of atrocities: being a Nazi; being in the SS; stealing his wealth from Holocaust victims. Glenn Beck accused Soros of collaborating with the Nazis as a teenager in Nazi-occupied Hungary, when he had been hidden with the Christian family of a government official at the age of 14 to escape persecution. Soros was asked about this in a 1998 interview with Steve Kroft on 60 Minutes:
Kroft: You're a Hungarian Jew who escaped the Holocaust by posing as a Christian.
Kroft: ...and you watched lots of people get shipped off to the death camps.
Soros: Right. I was 14 years old and I would say that that's when my character was made.
Kroft: In what way?
Soros: That one should think ahead, one should understand and anticipate events and one is threatened. It was a tremendous threat of evil. I mean it was a very personal experience of evil.
Kroft: My understanding is that you went out with this protector of yours who swore that you were his adopted godson.
Kroft: ...went out in fact and helped in the confiscation of property from the Jews?
Soros: That's right.
Kroft: I mean that sounds like an experience that would send lots of people to the psychiatric couch for many, many years. Was it difficult?
Soros: Not at all. Maybe as a child you don't see the connection but it created no problem at all.
Kroft: No feeling of guilt?
Kroft: For example, "I'm Jewish and here I am watching these people go. I could just as easily be there. I should be there." None of that?
Soros: Well, of course I could be on the other side. I could be the one for whom the thing is being taken away, but there was no sense that I shouldn't be there. Well actually, funny way, it's just like in markets. If I weren't there, of course I wasn't doing it, but somebody else would be taking it away anyhow. Whether I was there or not I was only a spectator. The property was being taken away, so I had no role in taking away that property so I had no sense of guilt.
Reputable media sources are united in saying that the allegations about Soros's Nazi past are false. Even the very right-wing National Review, which has called Soros a "genuinely nasty guy", has dismissed the allegations and said they are part of a wider problem many on the right have with telling the truth.
- The Russian government has as of 2015 banned all of George Soros' philanthropic organizations from operating in Russia as a threat to national security.
- Hungarian far-right Prime Minister Viktor Orbán claimed Soros' organizations were drawing their funding from encouraging the refugee crisis in Europe. Orbán, a former benefactor of Soros, has waged a demonization campaign against Soros during his 2018 election campaign despite not having much real opposition.
- Polish right-wingers — both from citizen movements as well as professional, popular politics — often accuse everyone who is a "moonbat" (that is, everyone who does not share their views) of being sponsored by Soros
- In the UK the right-wing press has gone into hysterics about his funding of pro-European Union groups, talking of a "secret plot" against Brexit in terms that bring to mind talk of secret international Jewish conspiracies.
- James Hansen — Soros allegedly controls NASA via Hansen in order to perpetuate the global warming hoax.
- Pizzagate — Soros Often Rewards Orphan Sex
- 'I must be doing something right': Billionaire George Soros faces renewed attacks with defiance by Michael Kranish (June 9, 2018 at 9:31 AM) The Washington Post.
- "Malaysian ex-premier Mahathir and billionaire Soros end feud", News Online (15 December 2006, 11:29pm AEDT). Mahatir Mohamad has basically admitted to using Soros as a scapegoat.
- The billionaire native Esperanto speaker?
- Morgenson, Gretchen, "INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS; Soros's Quantum Fund Losses in Russia Put at $2 Billion", NYT 27 August 1998.
- Clifford, Levy J., "Putin Vows to Fight Economic Collapse in Russia", NYT 20 November 2008.
- Reuters goofed
- See these sites for example.
- Soros Calls Mahathir A 'Menace' To Malaysia, The New York Times
- Malaysian ex-premier Mahathir and billionaire Soros end feud, Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- An Epidemic of Dishonesty on the Right, Kevin D Williamson, National Review, Feb 22, 2018
- See Glenn Beck's Anti-Semitic Attacks and George Soros: Too Anti-Communist for Glenn Beck. This also resulted in a truly awesome Daily Show episode.
- Beck falsely accuses Soros of Nazi collaboration on Kristallnacht anniversary. Media Matters. November 9, 2010.
- George Soros Interview 60 Minutes FULL. ReasonReport (YouTube). November 17, 2016.
- Smears of George Soros Resurface in Roseanne's Twitter Tantrum, Niraj Chokshi, New York Times, May 29, 2018
- Russia Bans George Soros Charity as a Security Threat, CNBC
- Hungarian PM Slams Soros-Funded Advocacy Groups: They “Are Drawing A Living From The Immigration Crisis”, Breitbart
- Hungary election: Once-fringe conspiracy theory about George Soros takes center stage by Griff Witte (March 17, 2018 at 4:13 PM) The Washington Post.
- Like here, and here, which does not go unnoticed by some journalists, thankfully.
- A secret plot to stop Brexit, or an antisemitic dog whistle?, Rafael Behr, The Guardian, Feb 8, 2018
- The George Soros controversy shows what Brexiteers have become: irredeemable conspiracy theorists, Will Gore, The Independent, Feb 8, 2018