There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2021.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
Appeal to pity
| Cogito ergo sum|
Logic and rhetoric
- argumentum ad misericordiam
- appeal to sympathy
- Galileo argument (not to be confused with Galileo gambit)
If overlaying some text on a sad puppy image:
- P1: X is asserted in the context of sad situation Y.
- P2: (unstated) Anything asserted in a sad context is true.
- C: X is true.
If someone tearfully demands a better grade:
- P1: X is asserted by a person in sad situation Y.
- P2: (unstated) Anything asserted by a person in sad situation is true.
- C: X is true.
Just because something is sad does not mean that it is more or less true.
- I couldn't afford to go to college, and I can't understand those fancy arguments you're using. But I've read my Bible, and it'd break my heart if it wasn't true.
- Bob was an orphan, raised by a stepfather who had to work menial jobs all day to make ends meet.
- I know Scruffles has rabies, slaughters other pets, and destroys furniture, but I love him and you can't take him away!
- Officer, you can't give me a traffic ticket for running a red light: I'm going to the hospital to see my wife in critical condition to tell her I lost my job, the house burned down, and the car will be repossessed.
Want to read this in another language?
Русскоязычным вариантом данной статьи является статья Обращение к жалости
- See the Wikipedia article on Appeal to pity.
- APPEAL TO PITY, Logically Fallacious
- Appeal to Pity (Argumentum ad Misercordiam), Atheism/Agnosticism About.com
- Fallacy: Appeal to Pity, Nizkor Project
- Appeal to Pity (the Galileo Argument), Charles McGlothlin
- Argumentum ad Misericordiam, philosophy.lander.edu
- APPEAL TO PITY, Truly Fallacious
- Appeal to Pity, Changing Minds
- Appeal to Pity, LogicalFallacies.info
- Appeal to Pity, Hebrew for Christians