| Some dare call it|
|What THEY don't want|
you to know!
“”They want you! They want you! They want you as a new recruit!
|—Village People, In The Navy[note 1]|
Among proponents of the theory, homosexual recruitment is typically considered part (and likewise indicative) of the larger homosexual agenda.
“”As a mother, I know that homosexuals cannot biologically reproduce children; therefore, they must recruit our children.
|—Anita Bryant, completely ignoring how gay people come about|
It posits that there is a concerted effort by the gay population to place large numbers of gay teachers in schools. Then, drawing from their idea that homosexual tendencies are acquired in youth, it goes on to claim that said gay teachers are there to seduce children and turn them gay.
It also draws on pseudo-psychological quackery regarding pedophilia. This form of bullshit posits the notion that gay men are all pedophiles and molest little boys, "pedophile" being used very broadly to refer to "anyone sexually attracted to an individual between 0 and 17 years of age, inclusive." They allegedly engage in this molestation because they know that such abuse will turn the children gay later in life; thus, the gay man "recruits" because he cannot reproduce.[note 3] For this reason, fundamentalist wingnuts often support quack psychotherapies like repressed or recovered memory "therapy" (to find "proof" of child sexual abuse in gay people) and reparative therapy (to "cure the gay").
Various wingnuts have found homosexual recruitment lurking in a number of other areas as well. Pat Robertson, for example, "discovered" that feminism is actually a front for turning women into lesbians (and socialism, Paganism, and sundry other bogeymen).
This panic led to the Briggs Initiative in 1978, a proposition to ban not only gays, but also anyone who supported gay rights, from working in California public schools. However, even Ronald Reagan went against this measure, and it was defeated at the polls. Britain's infamous Section 28 law was also passed into law, partly out of fear of gay "recruitment".
In 2013, the Russian government unanimously passed a law banning promotion of "homosexual behaviour among minors", which was met with protests in Russia and abroad. Proponents of this law try to claim that it is a complete coincidence that its passage was accompanied by a large spike in violence against Russia's LGBT population.
- 10 Anti-Gay Myths Debunked, SPLC
- Boys Beware, a short PSA film (read: propaganda piece) from the 1960s.
- Homosexual recruitment in schools, Accuracy in Media
- 1998 Homosexual Recruitment Drive Nearing Goal, from The Onion
- This almost counts as proof. But not really.
- They are not gay themselves, for the record.
- Statistically the overwhelming majority of child sexual abuse cases involve heterosexual abuse by adult men of little girls. An exception is the priest molestation scandal where the vast majority of cases are priest on boy. What makes the RC priests so gay?
- Yahoo! Answers, "Why do people get a toaster oven when they become lesbian?"
- Parting Glances: Oranges & lemons sliced (February 2, 2006).
- Reagan, Ronald (1978-11-01). "Editorial: Two Ill-advised California Trends". Los Angeles Herald-Examiner. p. A19.
- Section 28 to be repealed, BBC News
- "Russian Duma passes law banning 'gay propaganda'". 11 June 2013. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22862210.