Jesusland is Jesus's Own Country. Y'all come back now, y'hear?
Jesusland, or more derogatorily known as Dumbfuckistan, is the name for the 30 U.S. states which voted for George W. Bush in 2004, and sometimes, depending on whom you ask, the Canadian province of Alberta. The name came about after a post-election map showed that the states (excluding Alaska) formed a contiguous block. The name "Jesusland" was invented to describe the area, to fit the view of it as having an overly fundamentalist population. Which, of course, it does. It is the legendary "Real America" sought after by Sarah Palin.
Jesusland is flat, except where it is bumpy with mountains, with a climate that has never changed since its creation in 4004 BCE (see below). Its main life forms are corn, cattle, and hogs. The capital city is Crawford, Texas - the birthplace of George W. Bush. The country is sometimes referred to as "Dumbfuckistan", but not by its residents.
(Except for Alaska)
In his short story collection Knockemstiff, Donald Ray Pollack described a typical summer evening in his hometown east of Cincinnati as being "as hot as a fat woman's box." Fortunately the climate there never changes, never has changed in the past, and never will change.
God gave Jesusland to the whites, who adopted the Bible as their constitution. Then they grew lots of cotton and corn. In order to keep themselves pure in the sight of God, they are only allowed to marry their own relatives (although anyone of European descent will do in a pinch). Jesuslanders have a varied diet, including corn pone, corn grits, corn on the cob, corn dogs, and cornburgers, all washed down with high-fructose corn syrup soda and corn squeezin's (or moonshine). Jesusland also has a staggeringly high rate of methamphetamine and Oxycontin use.
Jesusland has a diverse economy, based on the Reaganomic principle. Its main exports are corn, religious zealots, and holy crusaders to go pacify the infidel states. One of Jesusland's main natural resources is rich white men in cowboy hats.
The main religion in Jesusland is Reaganism, unsurprisingly.
Jesusland is home to a unique breed of American literature. Read enough Jesusland literature and you will think that . . .
- most attics have at least one crazy aunt locked within;
- most people have been raped at least once before their thirteenth birthday;
- most boys play football and go hunting;
(And if he doesn't, everybody thinks "there's something wrong with that boy.")
- every girl is either a cheerleader or a beauty pageant contestant;
(And if she isn't, everybody thinks "there's something wrong with that girl.")
- every football player, hunter, cheerleader and beauty pageant contestant is actually in the closet;
- when not in church, Jesuslanders are stealing their neighbor's livestock, committing arson for fun, and racing along rural roads in overpowered hot rods.
If art wasn't imitating life, Jesuslanders might have a real complaint about how they are portrayed in books, movies, TV, etc.
Among those who have contributed to the image of Jesusland are:
- William Faulkner
- Carson McCullers
- Eudora Welty
Not-quite-so-literary literary figures
More pop culture than pure literature. However, they too have had their influence:
- Dave Barry
- John Grisham
- Carl Hiaasen
- The creators of The Dukes of Hazzard
- The creators of Dallas
See Literature, except with the addition of 'woke up this morning' at the beginning.
It is now!
- NASCAR racin'
- Cock fightin'
- Pit bull fightin'
- Bug zappin'
- Pitch forkin'
- Not givin' a dang 'bout those dang science fiction shows
- Science bashin'
- Old Glory wavin'
- Fox News watchin'
- Muzlims shootin'
- Tuhrist killin'
- Queer chasin'
- Queer beatin'
- Pro lifin'
- Ferners hatin' — fancypants college boys call it "zee-no-foebya."
- Lynchin' uppity
- Human rights abusin'
- Mason hatin'
- Jesus lovin'
- Jew convertin' (for obvious reasons)
- Jew killin' (by some standards)
- Keepin' nutty ole Cousin Zeke locked in the basement, only cuz there ain't no room for him and
AuntieGramma Tizzie in the attic.
- Endangered species exterminatin'
- "Polictically incorrect" joke tellin'
- Stoppin' durn minor'ties from votin'
- Donald Trump supportin'
- Fightin' to win when doin'
Civil WarWar of Northern Aggression reenactments.
- Football, and not that wimpy You're-a-peen' kind.
- Flag wavin' (The right one, of course)
Although Jesusland sounds like a snarky nickname that some blue state liberal devised, it may have actually originated among the region's indigenous bible thumpers. In the first chapter of her memoir Jesus Land, journalist Julia Scheeres describes what happened to her family after they moved to rural Indiana when she was sixteen. A few days after arriving, she and her brother were riding their bicycles down one of the country roads near their house when they came across a group of signs that a farmer had erected in his field:
| Sinners go to:
| Rightchuss go to:
| The end is neer[sic]:
| This here is:|
- Richard M. Nixon
- 2000 U.S. Presidential Election
- The South
- Bible Belt
- Religious Right
- Southern strategy
- Blue state
- Red state
- Purple America
- Her family is white, but she also has an adopted black brother.
- Scheeres, Julia. Jesus Land, Counterpoint/Perseus Books Group, New York, 2006, p.4.
- Chart comparing state annual taxes paid vs. money received
- Fuck the South!
|Articles about States of the United States|
|Northeastern United States states:||Connecticut • Delaware • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New York • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • Vermont •|
|Southern United States states:||Alabama • Arkansas • Florida • Georgia • Kentucky • Louisiana • Mississippi • North Carolina • Oklahoma • South Carolina • Tennessee • Texas • Virginia • West Virginia •|
|Midwestern United States states:||Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Michigan • Minnesota • Missouri • Nebraska • North Dakota • Ohio • South Dakota • Wisconsin •|
|Western United States states:||Alaska • Arizona • California • Colorado • Hawaii • Idaho • Montana • Nevada • New Mexico • Oregon • Utah • Washington • Wyoming •|
|United States territories:||Puerto Rico • Washington, D.C. •|
|Other:||Bible Belt • Weird states •|