2020 Republican Party presidential nomination
| Guide to:|
|Ideas and policies|
The 2020 Republican Party presidential nomination will likely be an uphill battle for any Republican challengers to Donald Trump. The nomination will take place at the Republican National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Major political issues this election are abortion, climate change, criminal justice reform, education, the Electoral College, gun control, LGBT+ rights, immigration reform, taxes, and universal healthcare.
Candidates are listed alphabetically according to their last names.
Donald J. Trump
Background: 45th and incumbent President of the United States. Previously a businessman and television personality.
- Supports LGBT rights, is pro-choice, has increased Medicaid access as Governor, wants to cut taxes and spending, opposed minimum wage increases, wants to strengthen ties with Canada and Mexico, supports denuclearization, supports HB1 work visas, and supports some form of legal status for undocumented immigrants.
- Bob Corker, former Senator from Tennessee.
- Larry Hogan, Governor of Maryland — has stated that elements of the RNC are trying to scrap the primary process altogether
- John Kasich, former Governor of Ohio and Representative from OH-12.
- Abortion Laws Around the World. Pew Research Center. Religion and Public Life. September 30, 2009.
- In Europe, it is both easier and harder to get an abortion than in US. Christian Science Monitor. May 24, 2018.
- These are the countries where it's still illegal to get an abortion. World Economic Forum. May 28, 2018.
- Donald Trump's infrastructure priorities. Global Construction Review. January 30, 2017.
- Buildings Reinvented. The B1M. February 17, 2019.
Green New Deal
- Resolution on the Green New Deal by House Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. February 7, 2019. (Resolutions are legally non-binding.)
- On the circumstances, history, and key details of the Green New Deal. National Public Radio. February 7, 2019.
- Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2017. Bureau of Labor Statistics, United States Department of Labor. March 2018.
- Top Issues for Voters: Healthcare, Economy, Immigration. Gallup News. November 2, 2018.
- Medicare for All: Can Bernie Sanders overhaul US healthcare?. BBC News. April 10, 2019.
- 7 Ways Rich People Avoid Paying Taxes. America Uncovered. April 15, 2019.
- Britnell, Mark. In Search of the Perfect Health System. Palgrave, 2015. ISBN 978-1-137-49661-4.
- Ferguson, Charles D. Nuclear Energy: What Everyone Needs to Know. Oxford University Press, 2011. ISBN 978-0-19975-945-3.
- Reid, T. R. The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care. Penguin Press, 2009. ISBN 978-1-594-20234-6.
- Spieler, Christof. Trains, Buses, People: An Opinionated Atlas of US Transit. Island Press, 2018. ISBN 978-1-61091-903-6.
- RNC picks Charlotte as 2020 GOP convention site CBS News. July 20th, 2018.
- Trump just got his first 2020 Republican challenger Vox. February 15th, 2019.
- What does William Weld believe? Where the candidate stands on 5 issues PBS NewsHour. February 15th, 2019.
- Trump foil, retiring GOP Sen. Corker: ‘no idea’ what’s next Associated Press. December 20th, 2018.
- Larry Hogan stokes speculation he'll primary Trump in 2020 Politico. January 22nd, 2019.
- Hogan blasts RNC for ‘unprecedented’ steps to shield Trump from a primary by Ovetta Wiggins (February 22, 2019 at 10:36 AM) The Washington Post.
- Ohioans eyeing 2020? Kasich, Brown ‘very seriously’ consider runs against Trump ABC News. November 25th, 2018.
|United States 2020 presidential election articles on RationalWiki|
| Topics: Abortion - Climate change - Illegal immigration - Gun control - LGBT rights - Marijuana - Taxes - United States Electoral College - Universal healthcare
Parties: Democratic Party (primaries) - Green Party - Libertarian Party - Republican Party (primaries)
Candidates: N/A (D) - Trump (R) • Running mates: Not declared