2020 US presidential election
| Guide to:|
|Hail to the Chief?|
|Persons of interest|
“”Given my experience working for Mr Trump, I fear that if he loses the election in 2020 there will never be a peaceful transition of power
|—Michael Cohen - Former Lawyer to President Donald Trump.|
The 2020 United States presidential election will take place on Tuesday, 3 November, 2020. It will be the 59th election, to hopefully select the 46th President of the United States. With the media already highly focused on the democratic competition and Trump's attacks on likely candidates, one can easily forget the election is still over a year away.
Pretty much the same from 2016... But with jet fuel sprayed onto it to make it more intense.
While unemployment is at a low of 3.6%, we're currently engaged with a trade war with China, and tariffs with number countries, including the European Union, Canada and Mexico. Further, trying to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement resulting in the United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement, which is largely the same.
Trump is basically running concentration camps...
Have fun trying to fix that
crime against humanity mess.
The Democrats are somewhere between 'the ACA is more or less fine as is', to 'scrapping it entirely and replacing it with Universal health care'.
Again: 2016 redux, jet fuel, more intense.
- Climate - With Trump pulling America out of Paris Agreement, and doubling down on everything dirty: coal, oil, ancient diesel engine, while also opposing wind turbines because they
ruin the view off his shitty golf courses cause cancerkill birds.
- SCOTUS - Self explanatory...
- Student loan debt - It's $1.6 trillion and it's really starting to wreak havoc with things like the housing market and birth rates.
- Tech Giants - The massive size of tech giants like Google, Facebook and Apple with increasing dominance in all markets and size, in a manner that reminds one of Standard Oil Company and Ma Bell
- Our Allies - Trump has done a fairly decent job embarrassing us and pissing off most of our allies, which is bad for obvious reasons. Whoever is next will need to patch up these relations.
- Taxes - Trump will likely seek to increase tax cuts for his rich friends who haven't quite reached billionaire status...while most democratic candidates hint at or promise they will reverse these cuts and some will impose new taxes including a possible tax on high-tec companies. Republican hysteria about new taxes is already rampant on social media.
- Russia - 2016 election aside, Russia is still being Russia: with the ongoing Russian military intervention in Ukraine, the annexation of Crimea, weapons sales to NATO ally Turkey, the 2018 poisoning of Sergei Skripal and the emerging front with them in the Arctic as the ice melts.
- Iran - Trump, in his quest to destroy everything to do with Obama, left the Iran nuclear deal.  After reimposing sanctions on Iran, Iran returned to enriching uranium. Further, several incidents have occurred between Iran and other nations in the Strait of Hormuz which has been ratcheting up tensions between Iran and the United States.
- Racism When all else fails, play the race card.
The terrifying reality is that by January, almost everything in this list could be irrelevant, since the President may blunder his way into a war with Iran at the rate things are going.
The 2020 US presidential election campaign will officially begin in the summer of 2020. In reality the campaign began days after Trump's election in 2016. Trump announced his bid for reelection in 2017.[note 2] At the same time media speculation about possible democrat candidates began and candidates suggested or even confirmed their candidacies as early as 2018. The first debate for democratic candidates was held in early 2019. Primary season begins in early 2020. Conventions will be held in the summer of 2020 followed by debates, intense campaigning and negative political adds, Trump theatrics, social media hysteria and the actual election in November 2020.
- 2020 Democratic National Convention is being held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, from 13 - 16 July, 2020.
- 2020 Republican National Convention is being held in Charlotte, North Carolina, from 24 - 27 August, 2020.
- 2020 Libertarian National Convention is being held in Austin, Texas from 21 - 25 May, 2020.
- 2020 Green National Convention is being held in Detroit, Michigan from 9 - 12 July, 2020.
- See the Wikipedia article on 2020 United States presidential election.
- 2020 Democratic Party presidential nomination
- 2020 Republican Party presidential nomination
- 2016 U.S. presidential election - For the 2016 version of this shit show.
- Mindock, Clark. What would happen if Trump refused to leave office after 2020 election loss?, Independent. 16 June, 2019.
- Kirby, Jen, USMCA, Trump’s new NAFTA deal, explained in 500 words, Vox. 20 June, 2019.
- Plumer, Brad, We Fact-Checked President Trump’s Dubious Claims on the Perils of Wind Power, New York Times. 3 April, 2019.
- Friedmann, Sarah, Student Loans are Destroying Millennials’ Homeownership Ambitions, The Daily Beast. 5 June, 2019.
- Lawless, Jill, New U.K. Memo Leak Claims President Trump Pulled Out of Iran Nuclear Deal to Spite Obama, Time. 14 July, 2019.
- Herbert, Geoff. President Trump launches first campaign ad for 2020 election -- 1282 days away, Syracuse.com. 1 May, 2017.