| One of the world's many|
|Systems and types|
|North American countries|
In Kenya there are lions. Only in Kenya![notes 1]
Kenya has long been one of the better run countries in Africa, but that stability is threatened both by communal violence and spillover from Somalia. Many of the Islamist groups in Somalia receive most of their funding from "Little Mogadishu" in Kenya's capital, Nairobi. The Northern areas of Kenya which border Somalia have also long had a significant ethnic Somali population.[notes 3]. There used to be an understandable sentiment of wishing to be "reunited" with Somalia. Now, not so much.[notes 4]
Kenya's also known for their unmatched (okay, maybe by Ethiopia) talent in marathons and middle- and long-distance in track.
Kenya has a particularly poor record of promoting any type of LGBT rights. For example, gay men face long prison sentences and compulsory anal probing is considered acceptable to establish if a man is gay.
Mau Mau uprising
This was a pro-independence guerilla war fought against the British, mainly by members of the Kikuyu ethnic group, Kenya's largest. Due to exceptionally brutal anti-insurgency tactics by the British, it has become a flashpoint for debates about whether the British empire was conducted in the best interests of the governed.
- It is not, however, true, that you can see tigers only in Kenya.
- Of course the true origins of humanity lie somewhere in Asia Minor at the Garden of Eden, but let the heathen have their delusions.
- Colonial borders being lines in the sand drawn with little regard for the people living there and all
- Is This the Source of the Forged ‘Kenyan Birth Certificate?’, The Washington Independent, 3 August 2009
- Kenyan Judge Says Anal Probes Are a Legal Way to Determine if Someone is Gay
- See the Wikipedia article on Mau Mau Uprising.
- Britain has said sorry to the Mau Mau. The rest of the empire is still waiting, Guardian, 2013