United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates (UAE) is a state to the east of Saudi Arabia. The country is another resource-rich Gulf Arab monarchy with massive amount of wealth but a human rights shit hole at the same time. UAE is consisted of seven emirates, but Dubai and
discount Dubai Abu Dhabi are mostly only relevant. Dubai is a symbol of authoritarian regime thriving off of neoliberal world system and globalization, much like Singapore. Barely 20 years ago Dubai was a middle of no where, and now it houses the tallest building in the world. UAE is Saudi Arabia's bitch, and Qatar is their arch nemesis.
UAE is known for having no concept whatsoever of human rights and humanism. They are actively conducting modern-day slavery and human trafficking, by importing helpless workers from South, Southeast Asia, and poor Arab neighbors. Out of around 9 million populations, 58% is from South Asia and around 16% is from other Asia, leaving only around 16% of native Emiratis who live off cheap labor by the migrant workers. Migrants have no rights of collective action or demand for better working conditions. If workers oppose, they will easily be deported and human traffickers from each of the sending countries will prepare the replacement out of the endless pool of low skilled workers. There's also notorious child slavery, conducted by trafficking young buys from impoverished neighbors and force them to work as camel jockeys. UAE also has strict censorship on media, and human rights activism will land you in jail or detention centers in no time. An activist Iyad El-Baghdadi was deported for tweeting.
Wahhabism is prominent in UAE, and the country has legislation based on strict interpretations of Sharia. It implements the hudud penal code which enables corporal punishments such as flogging and stoning. Homosexuals and apostasy are punishable by death penalty, and adultery (if found out) is considered a grave sin which is applicable for non-Muslims as well. Many Western migrants are convicted for being raped.
UAE, unlike its big boss Saudi or rival Qatar, is known for attracting fanfare of neocons and neoliberals alike, in spite of aforementioned human rights regressiveness. Westerners are especially attracted to Dubai, and the city is among the top 10 most visited cities on earth. This is most likely due to their cunning PR strategy in full effect, and not supporting overseas Jihadism led to much less negative coverage among the Western media which is obsessed with terrorism. Ayaan Hirsi Ali seems to think UAE as a role model of Muslim countries in the region which is just appalling.
- Human Trafficking & Modern-day Slavery - archives of articles related to modern-day slavery in UAE.
- Dubai, Singapore, and the Future of Neoliberalism. Geopolitcs Made Super. Retrieved February 27, 2018.
- Beyond Fraternity: The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Dayan. Retrieved February 27, 2018.
- "Labor Migration in the United Arab Emirates: Challenges and Responses". Migration Policy Institute. 18 September 2013.
- "United Arab Emirates". International Trade Union Confederation. http://survey.ituc-csi.org/United-Arab-Emirates.html?lang=en#tabs-3.
- "Kidnapped children sold into slavery as camel racers". https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/jun/03/peterbeaumont.theobserver.
- Child slavery provides camel jockeys in United Arab Emirates. Digital Journey. Retrieved February 27, 2018.
- UAE's crackdown on democracy short-sighted. Middleeastmonitor.com.
- Izady, Mehrdad (2014) . "Demography of Religion in the Gulf". Mehrdad Izady. http://gulf2000.columbia.edu/images/maps/GulfReligionGeneral_lg.png.
- Dubai is sixth most visited city on earth: Euromonitor. Gulf News. Retrieved February 27, 2018.
- Ali, Ayaan Hirsi (4 December 2017). "Opinion – The Plot Behind Saudi Arabia’s Fight With Qatar". New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/opinion/saudi-arabia-qatar-reform.html.