There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2019.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
Gospel of Philip
| Light iron-age reading|
|Gabbin' with God|
What it is
A mostly complete scroll of the Gospel was found in the Nag Hammadi texts, uncovered in 1945. And no, Philip didn't write it, his name was just more famous than Joe the Scribe.
Why it matters
- Because Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene.
- Philip reinforces that Jesus was human, that he never died and rose, just lived a nice healthy life till he was captured around 30 years of age and killed by those who wanted to shut him up. Then, you know, he stayed shut up, except as referenced by his students.
- Philip talks of Mary and Jesus being lovers, which may have been a translation error for "married". Neither one is exactly a good thing for modern Christianity to deal with.
- Because humans are blessed without priests, and the Church is irrelevant.
- Because sex is pure and good, not dirty. Sex is a gift that should be celebrated, not hidden away for procreation only.
- Because Jesus is a bad and angry mofo: "Jesus came to crucify the world."
Why it can't matter
- Or, if you are a conspiracy theorist, "intentionally misplaced"