The Brick Testament
|Light iron-age reading|
|Gabbin' with God|
The Brick Testament is an ongoing project created by Elbe Spurling (also known as Brendan Powell Smith). It is the largest, most comprehensive illustrated Bible in the world with over 3600 images and 400 stories from the Bible. It covers material from Genesis to Revelation but leaves out several in the middle, such as Kings. It's also a published book series.
And the cool part is, its illustrations are depictions assembled out of Lego®, and some of them really cast the Bible in a new light or are otherwise pretty interesting. Some examples:
- Gog and Magog as a futuristic city imported from 50s sci-fi. Lego fans might get a kick out of all the Classic Space torso parts on display.
- The third Horseman of the Apocalypse (the one usually called "Famine") as a corporate executive. Zing!
- Revelation 12:7 is already super metal. How can you make a battle between an army of angels and a galaxy-sized dragon with its own army of evil angels even more metal? Why, add guns and cannons of course!
- Revelation 7:4 being depicted with...uncomfortably Holocaust-like imagery. And in case that wasn't Godwinian enough for you, the ones for Romans 13:1 and Romans 9:14 are far more overt with it.
- A pretty practical reason for not following 1 Corinthians 14:34 ("Let your women keep silence in the churches").
The site goes out of its way to point out sex and violence you don't usually associate with the Bible and many of the less savory biblical scenes, such as The Iron Chariots. For more fun, read some of the negative online reviews of this book on Amazon, and you'll find that Christians are shocked — shocked! — at graphic Lego depiction of some scenes of their Holy Book (tl;dr), and are also indignant that an atheist would do this.
- Elbe Spurling Facebook timeline. As of 2015, she is known as Elbe Spurling, "a blue-haired transgender, lesbian, atheist artist". Brendan Smith continues to be her pen name.
- The Brick Testament About
- God Burns Remaining Humans to Death (Revelation 20:8), The Brick Testament
- God Tortures, Kills Billions (Revelation 6:5-6), The Brick Testament
- Satan Thrown to Earth (Revelation 12:7), The Brick Testament
- 144,000 Jews Saved (Revelation 7:4), The Brick Testament
- On Authority (Romans 13:1), The Brick Testament
- On Justice (Romans 9:14), The Brick Testament
- On Women (1 Corinthians 14:34), The Brick Testament
- Iron chariots