There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2019.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| A bunch of tree-huggers|
|Save the rainforests!|
|Watch that carbon footprint!|
Mark Lynas (born 1973) is a British author, journalist, and
Monsanto shill environmentalist. While he has no formal scientific qualifications or credentials he contributes to many newspapers in the UK and has written several books about climate change. He is pro-nuclear power.
In his mid-twenties, Lynas was an anti-GMO activist, helping destroy GM test plots in the UK in direct action protests. In January 2013, he shocked the organic food and anti-GMO world by giving a lecture at the Oxford Farming Conference apologizing for opposing GMOs and for helping to start the movement in the 1990s (saying he regrets it completely), stating specifically that he is now pro-GMO for environmental reasons, and challenged anti-GMO people "to question your beliefs in this area and to see whether they stand up to rational examination."
Change to pro-GMO
As stated by Michael Shermer, when both he and Lynas were featured on the show The Agenda discussing "The Anti-Science Left", the intellectual honesty that Lynas displayed by updating his position after learning about the science of GMOs is commendable and incredibly rare. Lynas specifically credited discovering science as the reason for his ideological shift. In a later speech, Lynas states "the controversy around GMOs represents one of the greatest science communications failures of the past half-century. Millions, possibly billions, of people have come to believe what is essentially a conspiracy theory, generating fear and misunderstanding about a whole class of technologies on an unprecedentedly global scale."
After the initial Oxford speech, accusations of being paid by agriculture technology companies to come out in favor of GMOs began surfacing on the internet from anti-GMO related sources. Lynas has specifically denied any such claims and so far the evidence has not been in favor of such an accusation being even remotely true.
- Lomborg cream pied by Mark Lynas
- Dawson, Allan (Mar. 5, 2014). "Global warming turned anti-GMO activist Mark Lynas into a promoter". Manitoba Co-operator. http://www.manitobacooperator.ca/2014/03/05/global-warming-turned-anti-gmo-activist-mark-lynas-into-a-promoter/.
- A video and transcript of Mark Lynas' speech
- Leading Environmental Activist’s Blunt Confession: I Was Completely Wrong To Oppose GMOs
- The Anti-Science Left The Agenda
- Mark Lynas calls anti-GMO thinking conspiratorial
- Paul, Katherine; Kaldveer, Zach (February 13, 2013). "Uncovering the Real Story Behind the 'Conversion' of Mark Lynas from Climate Change Journalist to Cheerleader for Genetically Modified Foods". AlternNet. http://www.alternet.org/food/uncovering-real-story-behind-conversion-mark-lynas-climate-change-journalist-cheerleader.
- Why I Will Never Be an Ambassador for the Corporate Biotech Lobby Mark Lynas Blog
- "Geo-engineering, nuclear power and climate change: playing God is good for the planet", The Telegraph