| The divine comedy|
Andrew A. Snelling is an Australian geologist and young-Earth creationist. He is also the first, only, and hopefully last, editor of the Answers Research Journal. He is the founder of the Journal of Creation and author of the two-volume Earth's Catastrophic Past — 1100 pages of creationist twaddle.
According to his many online biographies at creationist websites, Snelling received a Bachelor of Science with First Class Honours in Applied Geology from the University of New South Wales and a Ph.D. from the University of Sydney, for his thesis A geochemical study of the Koongarra uranium deposit, Northern Territory, Australia. He worked for various mining companies for several years before leaving to pursue his creation "research" in 1983, however he was retained as a consultant by Koongarra uranium project until 1992.
There appear to be two Snellings with the same address. One has authored academic papers stating unequivocally that certain geological formations contain rocks that are 1.8 million years old, and the other who attempts to prove that Noah's flood was a historical event by criticizing "evolutionist" geologists and challenging creationist geologists to rebuild "our understanding of geological history within the Biblical framework."
His creation research has centred around dating methods, with his pet hobbyhorse being polonium halos, which according to Answers in Genesis, he has used to demonstrate that most rock layers and fossils were deposited by a global flood 4,300 years ago. He has been repeatedly overlooked for a Nobel Prize despite the importance of this discovery. He has recently sued the US National Park Service on grounds of "religious discrimination" because they won't let him collect rocks at the Grand Canyon National Park.
- He styles himself Editor-in-Chief, but seeing as there are no other editors to be chief of this is like calling yourself the CEO of a single person company, or the lead singer of a one-man band.
- Creation Ministries International bio
- Snelling answers his critics.
- Alex Ritchie, Will the Real Dr Snelling Please Stand Up? The Skeptic, Volume 11, No. 4, p. 12-15, as cited in No Answers In Genesis.
- Answers in Genesis bio
- Update: Creationist geologist wins permit to collect rocks in Grand Canyon after lawsuit. sciencemag.org, 30 June 2017.
- CreationWiki biography